VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Harlequin MK1?

51K views 422 replies 111 participants last post by  scrapper 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Re: Harlequin MK1? (allen!)

man, my family lives in that area of Vancouver, but they're in Cali with me, right now.....

anymore pics of said car? ie: interior, motor area etc......

mileage??
with history documentation or not, i'd still rock that getaway car........

#8 ·
ive never really heard of a harlequin rabbit..... and i think each panel is supposed to be a different color but this rabbit has the rear quarter painted half green and blue. maybe its a one-off thing done by some company.... dunno but its making me feel all funny inside. I dont think its real. someone prove me wrong cause its driving me nuts.

#19 ·
Just out of curiosity, I enquired to see what the owner's story was on the car. He writes:
"I'm selling the car as it was described to me when I bought it from the second owner. For your information, the original harlequin Golf first surfaced in the 90's on the Polo in Europe. The North American harlequin Golf came along afterwards. Why would someone take a limited edition #9 of 15 badge from another car? If the car was that rare, they would have kept it with the original vehicle. Whether or not VW did this at the factory or if it was done as a promotional vehicle for a dealership, the original owner purchased it in these colours brand new from a VW dealership."

#25 ·
Re: (MrBadwrench)

Quote, originally posted by MrBadwrench »
Just out of curiosity, I enquired to see what the owner's story was on the car. He writes:
"I'm selling the car as it was described to me when I bought it from the second owner. For your information, the original harlequin Golf first surfaced in the 90's on the Polo in Europe. The North American harlequin Golf came along afterwards. Why would someone take a limited edition #9 of 15 badge from another car? If the car was that rare, they would have kept it with the original vehicle. Whether or not VW did this at the factory or if it was done as a promotional vehicle for a dealership, the original owner purchased it in these colours brand new from a VW dealership."

If the whole harlequin thing surfaced in the 90s, then why does it make sense that this 79 is one? and a polo is not a golf. Maybe someone scammed this guy and he just doesnt know it's fake.

#26 ·
Re: (hoodride6)

This is my car. It's wonderful how opinionated people can get without ever bothering to try fact checking. The GS badge on the dash is original and most certainly not from a Shelby, Buick or whatever other car seems to fit your mindset. What Buick do you know of that they only made 15 of?? The colour scheme is original. I honestly don't know if VW painted it at the factory or if it was a designer who modified 15 of them at the time. This is why I didn't claim that it was done by VW in the ad. I'm certainly not trying to scam anybody. No matter how you look at it, it's a head turner and the shell is super solid and the miles are low. It's a decent price for a solid '79 to begin with.
I am the third owner of the car. The second owner was told by the original owner that it was a 'car show' car and meant to display the colours that the car was available in for 1979. They are definitely all 'period accurate' colours (not Mk III colours).
I did not mean to imply that the harlequin was introduced in the 90's. I merely stated that the first time it DID surface in the 90's was on the Polo in Europe, not on the Golf for the Atlanta Olympics as the person who contacted me about it mistakenly claimed.
Bottom line - if you don't want to buy it, don't. But it's a cool car and it gets a lot of attention. It's a solid, German, 5 spd '79 Rabbit with a sunroof that doesn't leak and more character than most other cars I've seen on the road. Someone will be very happy with it. I will regret selling it but university is really freakin' expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.