VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear people are trying to boycott the gas company tommorrow and not buy gas. I was also told if the whole state doesn't buy gas the whole day. The gas company will lose 4.3 million dollars.
Is this true?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (dub-nation)

heard about it. One day will not do much, you are going to have to buy sometime.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (Jid)

"not buying gas" on may 19th will not hurt gas companies.
It will hurt gas stations (shell, 76, Mobil, etc)
and not buying gas on may 19th will not mean that you will also "not drive" on may 19th, which means...
if you don't buy gas on may19th and still drive, you will only double the gas you buy on may 20th...

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (backburner)

Eventually you'll need gas after May 19th anyway.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
yeah, these things piss me off .. if you want to make an impact it has to be a prolonged boycott, and much more organized than internet spam.
Buy a TDI or a hybrid, or better yet a bike, if you really care.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Glad I filled up yesterday. I'm good for 650 miles.

I love my TDI!!!

·
Registered
11,445 Posts

Why not support it, like most of you fill up everyday?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Here's the thing, people are going to buy gas more on the days before and after the boycott; so the oil companies are still getting your business, just at a different time. You're not using any less gas, you're just filling up at a different time, which means the oil companies aren't getting any less money.
CivicMinded

Modified by CivicMinded at 5:51 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
8,006 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (hman)

I heard of it I won't fill up cuzz I don't need too yet, maybe I won't fill up on the 20th either just to piss them off even more.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

This will not work.... why? Because, as previously stated, gasoline not purchased on the 19th will either have been purchased before or after with no effect whatsoever. The correct way would be to target one oil company at a time. Example... tomorrow we boycott Chevron and keep buying everyone else's gas, Chevron will have to lower their prices to entice customers and remain competitive. When everyone and their grandma is buying Chevron gas at a lower price the other oil companies will have to follow also to entice customers and remain competitive, thus creating a domino effect.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (KTN EDGE)

Quote, originally posted by KTN EDGE »
This will not work.... why? Because, as previously stated, gasoline not purchased on the 19th will either have been purchased before or after with no effect whatsoever. The correct way would be to target one oil company at a time. Example... tomorrow we boycott Chevron and keep buying everyone else's gas, Chevron will have to lower their prices to entice customers and remain competitive. When everyone and their grandma is buying Chevron gas at a lower price the other oil companies will have to follow also to entice customers and remain competitive, thus creating a domino effect.

Yep, that's the way to do it. Of course WILL people do this? Probably not.

CivicMinded

·
Banned
2,890 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (CivicMinded)

so you think the gas companies will say "oh Sh!t" no one bought gas today, and wont ever buy gas again, we better lower our prices. and to have every single american in the US not buy gas...thats alot of people. this was probably made by some guy driving his suburban around.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (junglistdubber)

It's all a load of sh!t... Makes me sick to my stomach... The government is royally jacked up and we as citizens should be able to have a more impacting approach.. straight up, It's just not fair, and probably never will be.
To each his own now sorry fellas

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (MRballer337)

I think the only way to beat the gas companie is to just boycott driving........ If they had a train for me to commute on I would and then just drive my car on the weekends, that would be cool. Then all the money I would save on gas would go into modding
My fantasy world is so cool.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (Special Case)

I doubt it will have any economic impact at all for reasons previously stated ^ but at least it will do the same as protesting. Which I guess does nothing. Nevermind.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (TTPrincess)

it should be dont buy gas/syphon your neighbors gas tank day.
just to make things intresting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (benjie-l.a)

how about just dont drive, stay off the roads if you dont like the price of gas, then i wont be in traffic.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Re: Has any heard of this "NO GAS DAY"??? Going on tommorrow? (vwnip)

There is a huge increase in sales the day before and after the "no gas day." So really, it aint doing ****.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts