VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola, I have a Gli 2.0 all pulled apart and ready for action. I was thinking of getting it finished with GEX and upgrading to their performance package which includes P&P and cams, which kind I am not sure. Has anyone heard of or dealt with GEX??
Thanks Ya'll!
Keep on dubbin'!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (DVS-VW24)

I have just "heard" that they make poor quality poop, that is all take that as you will. In fact I heard that from Drew if I am not mistaken, if I am mistaken I apologize. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (Blitz16v)

Cool cool, thanks for that, well I guess it is back to square one. Any suggestions for an engine rebuilder? Anyone, anyone?
Thanks again, this place rocks!

·
Registered
11,451 Posts

GEX sucks major donkey unit! Avoid that place at all costs!! They've been screwing up aircooled motors for years, and they apply the same "talent" on their watercooled products. Horrible reputation.. definitely to be avoided.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (KevinC)

Worst experience ever!Upon receiving my rebuilt 2liter the so called new pistons they said I would get were sandblasted,so I sent it back.They said they woudnt ship ups because of the damage risk,so what did they do?They shipped ups.Driver drops my block and chips a corner.Then after driving engine for about a week,it knocks around 3k so I discover there is about 16th of an inch of crankshaft endplay.Send it back again.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (Dubmekanik)

I guess I was right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (Blitz16v)

So,, you are saying I should go through them....hmmm.
Well, I am thinking maybe just sending the heads in, and doing the rest myself. New pistons, all that jazz, cheaper too, unless I could find a local shop, hmm, I'll just ramble to myself now

Thank you so much for the warning, talking to the guy from GEX made me kind of nervous to begin with

·
Registered
6,616 Posts

I have rebuilt bottom end for $750. It has been cleaned,aleigned, & honed. It has new rings, main, pilot, & rod bearings.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

DO NOT use GEX for anything! thye have a horrible reputation and have for many many years. the only reason they are still in business is that there are thousands of people out there who dont know any better.

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Re: Has anybody gone through GEX for a rebuild? (2035cc16v)

GEX has ahorrible reputation in the air-cooled world so I wouldn't go to them for a performance motor. Find a local shop to rebuild the bottom end and have the head sent to shine racing.
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts