VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (Gremlin)

there is some guy from the UK with a TT engine swapped into his golf - i think his handle is GolfTT. He has a laptop in his, i saw on his website.
edit: on second thought, his handle isn't GolfTT, thats someone else

[Modified by IndigoTwo-Oh, 10:45 AM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
940 Posts

I have one... no digital pics though, as I have no digital camera. I installed a "Jotto desk" that can be found here -> http://www.delorme.com/earthmate/jotto_desk.asp?src=UPSELL
It's handy, it'll allow you to swivel your computer anywhere, and it's nice in the fact that you can watch DVD's, GPS, listen to MP3's, play Diablo 2, VAG-COM, whatever... Right in the car, and plugged into your stereo. Not really all that high-tech, all it is is my laptop on it's own little desk, and plugged with an RCA cable into my sound, but I like it... and it beats paying out 2000+ bucks for a built-in system. (Since I already own the laptop, AND it has a lot more functionality than a Nav/DVD system.) I highly recommend getting a Jotto Desk for you guys that want more functionality than a built-in system...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (JettaTDIGuy)

$150?

JettaTDIGuy, what do you have it mounted to exactly?

·
Registered
366 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
It's handy, it'll allow you to swivel your computer anywhere, and it's nice in the fact that you can watch DVD's, GPS, listen to MP3's, play Diablo 2, VAG-COM, whatever... Right in the car, and plugged into your stereo. Not really all that high-tech, all it is is my laptop on it's own little desk, and plugged with an RCA cable into my sound, but I like it... and it beats paying out 2000+ bucks for a built-in system. (Since I already own the laptop, AND it has a lot more functionality than a Nav/DVD system.) I highly recommend getting a Jotto Desk for you guys that want more functionality than a built-in system...
[HR][/HR]​
So there is a guy in Flagstaff driving around with a laptop playing Diablo? Man Flagstaff is growing up
(went to NAU
)

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (tahoe8020)

[QUOTE}So there is a guy in Flagstaff driving around with a laptop playing Diablo? Man Flagstaff is growing up
(went to NAU
)[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say that at ALL.. Afterall, I'm the only guy I know here that has any sort of technology. I'm from Portland, and I feel VERY constricted technologically... this town has BARE MINIMUM in the technology department. Heck, DSL just got here like 6 months ago.
I still want to have wireless internet in my car too, but they just barely have that in PHX, so it'll be a safe 10 years before it ever get's here.

Gremlin, regarding price, I actually found it a lot cheaper somewhere else on the 'Net, I think it was more like $115, I just knew I could find the product itself on Delorme's website.
I mounted it right above the floor-vent on the passenger side, so that the main post is to the right of my gearshift. The actual desk is normally located above the gearshift, but I still have easy access to my shifter and my deck & EQ, the desk is right above everything. So the screen is right in the middle, barely above my field-of-vision in the middle. (But it poses no threat to safety, it's only like 2 inches above the bottom of the windshield) The only thing that's concerned me on the safety-end was when a passenger swivels it in front of them, it's right in front of the airbags... So I normally just lock everything on the desk down, so if a passenger wants access too it, they can just swivel the desktop.. that way it stays in the middle. You can quickly remove the whole desk so that only the base-mount is in, with the turn of a "quick release" screw. If I feel like the thing's in my way, I just unscrew it and toss it in the back. (The desk, not the computer, I gently place it elsewhere.
) Also, the laptop is secured very well with the velcro straps that come with the Jotto desk, so you can drive "aggressively" and not worry about your computer flying off of it.
(Also makes it very easy to bring the computer with you when you leave the car, or put it in when you get in the car. I bring my computer everywhere.)
The only thing I've even been concerned with is legality... I heard you can only have a max of a 7" screen in the car, but I've never even been asked about it by the cops. (Heck, even cops use the Jotto desk for their computers.)
But seriously, I gotta say this is one of the coolest mod's I've done to my car.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

JettaTDIGuy, yeah $115 sounds a bit more reasonable. When you say you have it mounted, did you have to put holes in your dash? Or was it some kind of clamp? (can't make out the pics too good on the various sites)

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

Just a FYI. Some people have had issues with laptops sending interference to the ECU (stock and chipped ones), especially when it was sitting on the dash. I have even heard that cell phones can cause interference with our ECUs.

·
Registered
940 Posts

I'm sorry Gremlin, I'm trying to be as descriptive as I can, since I can't post a pic...
Basically the desk consists of an extendable "tube" post that you mount to a base... then on top of the "tube," you've got an "arm" that hinges and that mounts to the desk itself...
Here, a link for a better picture: http://www.gps4fun.com/jot_5167.html
I mounted the base above the FLOOR vent, so it's not on the floor, but on the side of the center "hump." (Beside the gear-shift.) It's a little tricky bolting it in there, because the other side is somewhat hard to get to, although it's possible, because I did it.
You also need to be somewhat careful, because you don't want to drill into anything "important."

EDIT: Here's another helpful link to show how it works: http://www.jottodesk.com/usa/5167specs.shtml

[Modified by JettaTDIGuy, 12:14 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (wolfsburg_de)

I have no idea what would be causing the interference. Someone thought it was the magnetic material in the HD, but that is bogus. If that were true it would erase your floppys too.
A Vortexer was getting all kinds of surging and lights flashing on the console while a laptop was on the dash (near ECU). It went away when he removed the laptop and never occured again. Sorry I have no idea what the topic title was.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (einsig)

I remember this too, but I've had my computer there most of the time I drive, never had any problems.
I remember the guy who did have this problem said it may not be related, and he couldn't replicate the problem, but his car did act strange while the laptop was on his dash once.... Sounds like he's reaching for some reason that this problem was happening, but...

He never did figure out what caused the problem, because it never happened again.
I just can't imagine a car manufacturer making a car that pukes out when you set a computer on the dash... especially in this day-and-age... And I've never heard this thing about not using a cell phone in your car... People have been doing this for YEARS as well and I've never heard about a car dying from someone talking on a cell phone... If this were happening, you'd think you'd be hearing about it a lot more... (Think 20/20 or 60 minutes or something...) I just have no idea how a cell phone would be able to interact with a computer via cell phone frequency. Just my 2c on the subject.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts

I totally agree with you on the cell phone thing. Someone just posted about it. It was in no way substantiated.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (wolfsburg_de)

its called EMI - electromagnetic interference.
basically a strong em signal from a source screws up the functioning of another circuit.
it is totally avoidable, too. if circuits are properly shielded, then they should be EMI proof. apparantly vw doesn't shield properly
edit: another note - this is why they tell you to turn off all electronic equipment during takeoff and landing of an airplane and also to always have your cell phone off. EMI is believed to have caused the crash of swiss air and egypt air on the east coast a few years back.

[Modified by IndigoTwo-Oh, 1:28 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (einsig)

ok, I totally needed this topic. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Had been thinking about modifying one of those extending arm things you put on your desk to fit in my car. Dunno what I'll do yet.
JettaTDIGuy,
Any chance a friend could take pics? that would be awesome!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (IndigoTwo-Oh)

quote:[HR][/HR]its called EMI - electromagnetic interference.
basically a strong em signal from a source screws up the functioning of another circuit.
it is totally avoidable, too. if circuits are properly shielded, then they should be EMI proof. apparantly vw doesn't shield properly
[HR][/HR]​
Has anyone ever actually had this happen to them though? I've only heard of that one Vortexer who was guessing that had happened, but couldn't get his car to do it again... So are we sure that VW doesn't shield properly? I would think that they'd be getting a LOT of complaints if that were the case,and we'd hear a lot about them... and we do hear about their other problems... (i.e. window regulators, mafs, second-gear grind, etc.)

Oh, 00GTIa, since there has been so much interest in this topic, I'm having my buddy bring his digital camera over in a few minutes... so I can show you guys my setup. It's a crummy digital camera, but it'll give you a general idea.

·
Registered
397 Posts

This kind of thing is very rare as i understand it, so i really wouldn't worry about it, but it can happen. I'd say before you do a permanent install, see if you do get any problems having it in the car.
Also, vw has a warning, i think i saw it in the owner's manual, about using a cell phone in the car. It warned that there could be interference.

·
Banned
3,090 Posts

There was a kid at my school who had a laptop built into his Schnitzer M3. He could start the car and open the windows and do all sorts of cheesy stuff like make his lights strobe, all from his computer in his room. The car was sick, the kid was a dork.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.