VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (amarshall)

quote:[HR][/HR]There was a kid at my school who had a laptop built into his Schnitzer M3. He could start the car and open the windows and do all sorts of cheesy stuff like make his lights strobe, all from his computer in his room. The car was sick, the kid was a dork.[HR][/HR]​
That sounds like some kind of wireless networking thing going on... that's a cool idea though, once I get the VAG COM maybe I can find a way to do neato space-age things like that.

(I just think it'd be cool to get the real-time specs on the engine, it kind of eliminates the need for other things like guages, and you get a lot more info with the VAG COM.)

·
Registered
12,887 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (IndigoTwo-Oh)

quote:[HR][/HR]EMI is believed to have caused the crash of swiss air and egypt air on the east coast a few years back.

[Modified by IndigoTwo-Oh, 1:28 PM 12-6-2001][HR][/HR]​
IndigoTwo-Oh, completely off topic, but it's a fact that the Egypt Air 767 was brought down by a suicidal pilot, and Swissair's MD11 was a cockpit fire caused by the entertainment system wiring. This is what years of studying MTSB reports and a love of aviation gets you

[Modified by wlombardi, 2:03 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
940 Posts

Man, if I had that much control of my car from a computer, I sure as "L" would NOT put that computer on the Internet. Wireless networking is scary enough... Think "BackOrifice.."
Driving along the highway and someone decides to roll your windows down... or turn your car off... Wow. Imagine the possibilities.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (wlombardi)

quote:[HR][/HR]EMI is believed to have caused the crash of swiss air and egypt air on the east coast a few years back.

[Modified by IndigoTwo-Oh, 1:28 PM 12-6-2001]
IndigoTwo-Oh, completely off topic, but it's a fact that the Egypt Air 767 was brought down by a suicidal pilot, and Swissair's MD11 was a cockpit fire caused by the entertainment system wiring. This is what years of studying MTSB reports and a love of aviation gets you

[Modified by wlombardi, 2:03 PM 12-6-2001][HR][/HR]​
The egypt air conclusion was made hastily and is not accepted by any other group than the NTSB. The conclusion was made b/c the black box recorded him praying to allah. Who wouldn't pray if all the electronics failed onboard??
I am pretty sure that you are right: those were the initial diagnoses for the crashes, but when a 3rd plane crashed (i don't know the order or which airline it was, i think AA) in the exact same spot, they opened another investigation in to the possiblity of EMI, which was previously not even an option for the NTSB to explore. The 3 planes took off on the same day of the week at the same time going in the same direction from the same airport. There is reportedly heavy em signals from the navy in that region ......

·
Registered
397 Posts

it was TWA not AA, sorry

here is a quote from the AP (july 12 1998):
A Harvard University English professor believes electromagnetic interference - possibly from military craft - might be responsible for the downing of TWA Flight 800. Professor Elaine Scarry's theory is being investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board ..... Investigators say the plane's central fuel tank exploded, but have not been able to say why. .... Electromagnetic signals from other craft could have prompted an electrical charge aboard TWA 800 to jump from high-voltage wires to low voltage wires and then travel to the fuel gauge and the fuel tank. ... Ms. Scarry insisted in a June 17 letter that a TWA pilot's comments about a "crazy" fuel gauge and difficulty stabilizing the plane just before the explosion could be anomalies hinting at an EMI event. Hall was not available for comment.

·
Registered
12,887 Posts

TWA's flt 800 crash has left a whole array of possible "causes", but none, including the NTSB's, will ever explain the final moments of flt 800. Both of the TWA and Egypt Air incidents occurred in the same vicinity, off of Long Island. But Swissair's incident occurred off of the coast of Nova Scotia, Peggy's Cove to be exact, far from the other occurrences. The only reason I believe Egypt Air's incident was caused by a suicidal pilot was the fact that the FDR's data reflected one pilot, the captain, trying to regain control of the AC by pulling up on the yoke, while the pilot in question was pushing down on the yoke, causing the plane to pitch and oscillate until stress broke the AC apart. JFK generates over fifty-five percent of trans-Atlantic traffic in the early hours of the evening; it was just coincidental that "those" flights had departed JFK heading for Europe.

[Modified by wlombardi, 6:43 AM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (tahoe8020)

quote:[HR][/HR]
So there is a guy in Flagstaff driving around with a laptop playing Diablo? Man Flagstaff is growing up
(went to NAU
)[HR][/HR]​
Hehe, that probably explains a lot of people's inability to drive in snow (just graduated from NAU in the spring).
You live on campus JettaTDIGuy? If so I probably saw you a couple times.
Tim

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (tulmad)

Hehe, that probably explains a lot of people's inability to drive in snow (just graduated from NAU in the spring).
You live on campus JettaTDIGuy? If so I probably saw you a couple times.
Tim[HR][/HR]​
You're not kidding, no one here can drive, even OUT of snow. Very frustrating sometimes, and I love driving in Phoenix where there's no speed limit.

Nope, don't live on campus, but I drive around there somewhat often, so it's possible that you saw me, 'specially at night, can't miss a big ol' 14.9" screen in the middle of my car.
Get's lots of looks, that's for sure. (Which is also why I take it with me everywhere I go, when I leave the car... another great reason to go this route rather than built-in... you ARE your alarm system. If someone tries to steal your computer, you'll know it, because it's on your person.
)
Am I the only Vortexer that is actually living in Flagstaff? Maybe so...

·
Banned
4,290 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]there is some guy from the UK with a TT engine swapped into his golf - i think his handle is GolfTT. He has a laptop in his, i saw on his website.
edit: on second thought, his handle isn't GolfTT, thats someone else

[Modified by IndigoTwo-Oh, 10:45 AM 12-6-2001][HR][/HR]​
Are you thinking of GaryH

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (00GtIa)

Well, after being out of town for a few days, and fighting to get my hands on a digital camera, I've finally gotten a chance to show some photo's of the setup. Please excuse the quality of the photo's as all I had to use was a poor-quality digital camera borrowed from a friend. (Beggars can't be choosers.)

·
Registered
940 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]awesome....it snows in AZ?[HR][/HR]​
Flagstaff is at 7000 feet, so we get butt-loads of snow in the winter. Right now we've got like 6 inches, and our winter really is more in the February-April months... It's gonna be a lots of snow for us this year...

·
Registered
5,670 Posts

Seems like it would be in the way. I am a somewhat clausterphobic(sp?) person and love having my space. Cool though. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (eckogolf4)

quote:[HR][/HR]Seems like it would be in the way. I am a somewhat clausterphobic(sp?) person and love having my space. [HR][/HR]​
Eckogolf4,
The cool thing about this particular setup is that you can move the computer anywhere you'd like it, I just like having it in the middle, as it's not in my way, nor the passenger's way, both of us can get to it quickly and easily, and I can see my GPS/MP3 player without having to look too far off of the road.
You can swing it out in front of the passenger, swing it up, down, etc. It's really VERY adjustable, and you can put it anywhere you want.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (00GtIa)

what are you using for GPS?[HR][/HR]​
I'm using Delorme's Street Atlas USA Deluxe 9.0, as it has the voice-activated features... as well as their Earthmate receiver. They only have Street Atlas 9.0 for the PeeCee, so I'm running it on Virtual PC. (4.0)
I also use their Topo maps, but not too often, as it seems to have less roads/info, but has great topographical information. http://delorme.com/streetatlasdeluxe/default.asp - $149 for the program and the receiver.
Then of course you need Virtual PC, if you don't already have it...

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.