VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (Gremlin)

Gremlin,
The desk came with self-tapping screws, I didn't really like the looks of them, seemed like cheap sheet-metal screws, so I bought some bolts/nuts/washers and drilled the holes, then bolted it on "properly."

It was a little tricky getting under the car and seeing what I was drilling before I did, but there is an empty place to do it where I positioned the base-mount. Also, where I mounted it there was a plastic duct to the vent below my mount, but I just drilled through as the bolts fill most of the holes I put in them, and I didn't notice any sort of change in airflow to the vent after doing it.
Bottom line: I wouldn't recommend using the cheap screws they send with it, spend 2 bucks on decent hardware.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (00GtIa)

quote:[HR][/HR]that's great! exactly where I want my iBook.
[HR][/HR]​
I forgot to mention, you'll need a USB adapter for the GPS receiver, since you don't have a serial port. I'm using a Wallstreet G3, so they threw in a free adapter from PC serial -> Mac serial, but from what I understand, the serial->USB adapters are a bit more expensive. Who knows though, they are a great company to work with from what I've dealt with them. (They offered to pay for shipping and refund my purchase if the GPS package didn't work on my Mac, through Virtual PC.) http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by JettaTDIGuy, 4:28 PM 12-13-2001]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (JettaTDIGuy)

thanks for all the help and photos jettaTDIguy...
I'll be working on mine over x-mas, hopefully will have pics up soon after.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Re: Has anybody installed a laptop in their Jetta or Golf? (Gremlin)

quote:[HR][/HR]thanks for all the help and photos jettaTDIguy...
I'll be working on mine over x-mas, hopefully will have pics up soon after.
[HR][/HR]​
Sounds great, maybe you can get some better shots than the ones I took... especially night-shots, I tried with my borrowed cam, but they didn't turn out at ALL. Night shots are cool, especially a distant shot of the whole car, get a blue/red desktop pattern, pop in a DVD, it's the envy of all the other drivers on the road.
Good luck with your install, let me know if you have any questions you think I might be able to answer, I'd be more than happy to help out a fellow Vortexer.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts