VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at doing this with our 72 STD and according to the rule book, we have to run it in EP. I think we will get smoked. I have driven before and I'm also in the process of setting up a Datsun 260Z to run in FP which is a good fit for it. I just am not sure about the Bug though. It does handle excellent now after tires and gas shocks and has plenty of low end punch. Is anyone else blasting around the cones with their Bug?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Has anyone Auto-X"ed in a Bug? (Chopjob)

While you may not be competitive at the national level, You can make an EXTREMELY stout regional runner.
Jack Van Wettering, the owner/driver of the red "G-Force challenge" '69 bug lives up in Klammath Falls. He would be your main competition if you run in southern OR. but I can't recall if he's running in EP or E-MOD these days.
If you'd like some "hints" at how to get the most from the STD, Give me a call at Bugformance and I'll hook you up with the right guys.
And take a look at my projects site for pics of our next cone killer.

Modified by Charles R at 7:41 PM 6-5-2003

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Has anyone Auto-X"ed in a Bug? (Charles R)

Nice web site. That was one over the top Bug with the full cage and front struts. I may have to reconsider running in EP as I would not stand a snowballs chance at being competitive. Maybe I should just run in PAX with it and just have a good time.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Re: Has anyone Auto-X"ed in a Bug? (Chopjob)

I wouldn't give up so easy...We actually think that red bug was faster when it had a beam. It was easier to drive quickly, anyway. Put some camber into the front, reinforce the rear trailing arms, and put as much tire under it as you can.
And build a ton of motor! Jack's is a 2400-or2500ish(I never remember) with 14:1 compression and CB injection. He makes around 275-300 horses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts