VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of dealing with how slow this thing is, even with the SSD. I wonder if there's any insight out there about putting a faster cpu in the head unit - is it even possible?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm pissed off on it too, so +1 :mad:(y)(y)

I think it's all about the costs. Most probably also there is small demand from the community, otherwise the coders and elelectronics engineers would do it. BTW the question - is this MQB MIB head unit on Android, or it's something proprietary?

·
Registered
2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2009 CC Lux, 2017 CC R-Line
116 Posts
I'm sick of dealing with how slow this thing is, even with the SSD. I wonder if there's any insight out there about putting a faster cpu in the head unit - is it even possible?
@TimS78 Can you post version info about your RNS-510? Full model number and all the version details from the service menu would allow the community to provide helpful insights.

But the simple answer to your question is "No". Even if you ignore the difficulty of removing and re-soldering a replacement, there are matching differences in the circuit board that align with differences in the different CPU revisions.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Delivery part number: 3C0035684Q (although the sticker on the case is a P part number)
HW-Version H26
SW-Version 5382

Could slow speed be a firmware issue? When I installed it, I updated it to 5382 thinking the most up-to-date would naturally be the best. Should I roll it back to an earlier version? Is that even possible?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Delivery part number: 3C0035684Q (although the sticker on the case is a P part number)
HW-Version H26
SW-Version 5382

Could slow speed be a firmware issue? When I installed it, I updated it to 5382 thinking the most up-to-date would naturally be the best. Should I roll it back to an earlier version? Is that even possible?
It is possible to downgrade the firmware, although I doubt you'd want to do that.
Can you provide some description of the speed at which the unit is operating? We need to determine if your unit is running slowly, or your expectations are simply too high.

·
Registered
116 Posts
No, it does everything it should. I just want it to do it faster.
Easiest solution... go buy a couple-year-old Discover Media headunit, the successor to the RNS-510. The user interface is basically the same as the -510, but it's sooooooo fast!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts