VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...the dealer told me that they tried swapping the XM module from my '06 GTI to my ne '08 R and the nav unit quit working.
I'd have thought that although Sirius only uses one antenna lead that they wouldn't have changed the wiring for that. XM uses the the second antenna lead to receive the terrestrial feeds, but I would have thought that it would still work nicely without that second lead in places where a satellite is visible....
Any thought? I borrowed the XM and will try it tomorrow, but I'm hoping that someone has some first hand experience.
The dealer said that they tried the antenna leads in both positions - in one the radio didn't work and in the other the nav quit - does that make any sense?

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
Re: 30 views..... (cb1111)

I've done it, I pulled an XM from a '05 S4 and it worked in both my '07 GTI and '07 A4. I also swapped the Sirius from my GTI for an XM out of an '07 Passat. However, none of these 4 cars had nav. I think that Nav requires a satellite reciever that's a specific part # for cars with nav.
For the 2 inputs to 1 antenna wire, you can use one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...92648
You might contact Rich at oempl.us about cross-compaitibility. They should know what part # works in what car with their receiver swap program.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another quick question

...did you need to use the antenna converter for your '07? Maybe that was the problem - I never even thought of the Fakra connector....

·
Registered
11,104 Posts
Re: Another quick question (cb1111)

Quote, originally posted by cb1111 »
...did you need to use the antenna converter for your '07? Maybe that was the problem - I never even thought of the Fakra connector....

I went without it for a while. Just plugged in the green wire to the receiver. Worked and sounded fine, except it didn't display all the channel/song information on the HU.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Re: Has anyone replaced Sirius with XM in an 2007+ GTI?... (cb1111)

below you will find most of whats interchangeable...
This is what you can go by to see what is compatible.
8E0 035 593/8E0 057 593 Sirius without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
8E0 035 593 A/8E0 057 593 A XM without RNS-E and without tire pressure monitoring system
8E0 035 593 D/8E0 057 593 D Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
8E0 035 593 E/8E0 057 593 E XM for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
2007 vehicles
8E0 035 593 F/8E0 057 593 F Sirius for RNS-E and/or with tire pressure monitoring system, works with Concert/Symphony as well
The older rev receivers interfere with the active TPMS system and the RNS-E Nav unit so they came out with later versions that don't interfere. You can use the earlier version if you don't have an active TPMS or RNS-E (and that may also only refer to the Audi TPMS system that uses an antenna in each wheel well rather than using an antenna in the rear window as is done in A5-platform vehicles).
The active TPMS system used now by VW has no dependency on a satellite receiver being present. However, the earlier revision receivers are no longer being manufactured so the units installed at the factory are the newer revisions that are compatible with active TPMS systems.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great - thanks....

...that'll help - I think...
I have the 8E0 035 593 E rev 80 so I should be OK....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts