VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are getting pretty beat up after 8 years/170k miles. I've found a few places that sell replacement lenses, but there's no tutorial out there specific to the Mk6, just older generations or universal instructions. I'm also seeing a lot of posts about how it's either impossible or there's a super high chance of failure.

I'll just sand them if I have to, but I'd like to black out the housings while I'm at it. So what's the deal? Has anyone actually done this job on the Mk6? If so, is there a tutorial for it?

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,167 Posts
I need to find a quality source for new lenses as well. Mine have little cracks all over them so a normal refinish wouldn't do anything.

·
Registered
2013 Golf R, 2013 X5 35D, 1997 E320
21,167 Posts
I found this while searching around. I'm making an assumption that the Cayenne shares some headlight parts with our cars given the year and the parts sharing in other areas.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I bought a set of the replacement lenses to replace one of the lenses on my R. The previous owner had hit some road debris and had one of the headlights replaced along with getting the front end repainted, so it all looked new, except for the original light that was all stone chipped. I tried a professional level lens refinish process, but there were some blemishes through the lens from the HID headlight that could not be removed, so even with refinishing it will always look a bit cloudy. Before replacing the whole light, I thought I might as well buy the lenses and give that a shot.

First off, the lenses that I got were from a base model halogen light, not a projector HID light and there are differences. As far as I know, those are the only ones available for the mkVI. While it physically fits, there were a few bosses inside the lens that had to be trimmed to make it fit the HID light housing. Second, the mold lines in the lines are in different places, which you don't really notice unless you compare the replacement to the original. It takes a keen eye to see the difference, but once seen, it cannot be unseen. If you are replacing both lenses, you probably wouldn't notice. That said, the mold lines do go through the projector area, so it may be more apparent with the lights on. I have not powered up the headlight yet, so I can't say if it is noticeable, nor have I had it on long enough to see if they will last.

YMMV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts