VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had an issue with bleeding the system, but I think i've finally fallen foul of it in my '86 diesel.
New thermostat (87'), coolant reservoir etc, bled the system by running it with the cap off, thermostat seemed to open after a long time, and the bottom hose got warm.
Later went for the first drive, temp guage went high - the bottom 1/2 of the radiator was cold, as was the lower radiator hose.
Any idea? Stuck thermostat, or more likely a air pocket?

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
Re: Has anyone still had a air pocket, even after bleeding the system for new thermostat? (the brit)

Did you drill a bleed hole in your thermostat?
This is what we do to all that don't have it. An 1/8" drill bit will do.
Its cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Has anyone still had a air pocket, even after bleeding the system for new thermostat? (Eric D)

Quote, originally posted by Eric D »
Did you drill a bleed hole in your thermostat?
This is what we do to all that don't have it. An 1/8" drill bit will do.
Its cheap insurance.

I've never had a problem with bleeding it with the cap off before, so i've never drilled holes.
Now i'm worried that:
87' isn't suited for the diesel (it's always run cool),
or,
I have a DOA thermostat (in which case, if i order tonight, i'll have a replacement tomorrow).
Perhaps i'll try drilling a hole in it early tomorrow morning..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Re: Has anyone still had a air pocket, even after bleeding the system for new thermostat? (Eric D)

Coupla thoughts:
- Could be water pump.... ie spinning impeller.
- I fill the rad with the upper rad hose when I flush the system... you're pretty sure it's full ?

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Has anyone still had a air pocket, even after bleeding the s ... (Vincent Waldon)

Quote, originally posted by Vincent Waldon »
Coupla thoughts:
- Could be water pump.... ie spinning impeller.
- I fill the rad with the upper rad hose when I flush the system... you're pretty sure it's full ?

I'm getting good flow into the overflow tank, and it pumped out a lot of air so I think the pump is okay.
It's just weird that it would seem to have opened earlier while idling, but doesn't now when driven.
edit: I've ordered a 80' for tomorrow, just in case the old one doesn't test out okay. I hate wasting coolant like this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts