VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
12,870 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (88mm)

Good results on a FMIC, but don't spray it on the stock SMIC and make sure none of it makes it to the intake or it will hurt performance.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (VDUBNDizzy)

How would that make it to the intake? Also why would this not be good for a SMIC? Can someone please explain this. Also how does this work.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (xmaciek82x)

the plastic endtanks on the stock intercooler will crack.
according to the laws of like PV=nrt, so when you release a pressurized gas, it gets very cold, therefore the intercooler gets very cold, which makes the intake air cooler

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (igotaprestent4u)

Quote, originally posted by igotaprestent4u »
the plastic endtanks on the stock intercooler will crack.
according to the laws of like PV=nrt, so when you release a pressurized gas, it gets very cold, therefore the intercooler gets very cold, which makes the intake air cooler

Kool, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (xmaciek82x)

So No to the stock. Well that sucks!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts

you can spray the stock, but it is very likely to crack the endtanks, lots of people including myself have made custom water sprayers using the rear wiper pump.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (VDUBNDizzy)

Quote, originally posted by VDUBNDizzy »
Good results on a FMIC, but don't spray it on the stock SMIC and make sure none of it makes it to the intake or it will hurt performance.

Had mine on the stock IC for about 9 months. Works well, no probs with the end tanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (bobqzzi)

What kind of results have been gained from the c02 or water? Does it really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 88mm »
What kind of results have been gained from the c02 or water? Does it really make that much of a difference?

Well, I did a top speed run on my private closed course, and when the intake temp hit 50C I hit the CO2. The temp dropped to 25C within 30 secs, at which point I had to get out of it.
Has anyone actually seen a plastic end tank crack? I keep seeing the same statement "you'll crack the plastic endtank" repeated over and over. I get the feeling it is an example of internet wisdom that gets repeated without any proof. However, I certainly could be wrong- anyone seen a VAG intercooler crack?

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried that "Co2 cooling spray for your intercooler" (bobqzzi)

I have the c02 spray kit on my FMIC... works great... Only noticable gains in humid or hot weather...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts