VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time finding a Cabby/Clipper front bumper cover and was wondering if anyone has tried using a Mk2 big bumper in place of the Cabby bumper. Anyone have any pics?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Re: Has anyone tried using a Mk2 big bumper w/a Cabby/Clipper kit? (vwrabbit)

I'm working on this now....I think it will look pretty good when finished. The trick is going to be continuing the arc of the fender flairs since their designed to tie into the original bumpers. I don't have any pictures yet....I'd like to see if anyone has tried this too.
Actually I have seen this before, I'll try to find some pics. Oh, and it can be done without continuing the arc of the fender, I'm just going to do this cause I think it will look more finished.

Modified by gtifly at 12:40 PM 10-22-2003

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Has anyone tried using a Mk2 big bumper w/a Cabby/Clipper kit? (gtifly)

Yah, I may just fiberglass something on the back ends of the Mk2 small bumpers that I'm using to get it all to blend together. Was thinking the Mk2 big bumpers would work a little better.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

They do look good. I think the weight savings would be worth it alone to go with an mkII bumper.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts

i will be doin this on my car.
well i personally wont be doing it but the bodyshop will.
the rear bumper has to be cut in the middle, shortened a few inches and then plastic welded back together
as for the front, you can either trim the fenders or the bumper, its up to you
i am not a bodyguy but i am pretty sure thats what has to be done
here is a pic of the front of mine. the bumper is not actually on in the pic, we just basically hung it there for pic purposes.
i personally love the look, it gives the car a more aggressive bite to it

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Has anyone tried using a Mk2 big bumper w/a Cabby/Clipper kit? (microeconomics)

Les,
So you'll be using the Mk2 big bumper w/a cabby kit? Would love to see what the bodyshop does to make it all fit together!

·
Banned
1,894 Posts

Quote, originally posted by vwrabbit »
Les,
So you'll be using the Mk2 big bumper w/a cabby kit? Would love to see what the bodyshop does to make it all fit together!

yes i will be using the clipper kit and big bumpers
check my siggy for more pics
as for the bodyshop, i cant wait to see it completed either

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Has anyone tried using a Mk2 big bumper w/a Cabby/Clipper kit? (microeconomics)

That's going to be seriously sweet! I see what the front flairs look like trimmed. I think I'm going to have to go that route w/mine and try keeping the Mk2 small bumper. Going to use a BBS front spoiler beneath it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts