VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got caught speeding last night.
Does anyone have experience with these Ex Cop lawyers that 'Guarantee to have no conviction or you don't pay'?
I know my step brother used them, and he had to pay 350.00 to get no points, but that is all I know.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (3hree 3hree 7even)

yeah they are pretty costly but usually pretty good
depends whether its worth it for you to get the charge changed/lowered/points dropped

sometimes you have to pay their costs + fine
other times you just pay them and they get the ticket thrown out
your mileage may vary

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
i used them years ago. (points that is).
Going around a corner in the country, popped a tire, flipped and rolled my truck into the ditch. Because it was a bright sunny day, and no other vehicles were involved, the cop nailed me with Carless driving. Went to court, and POINTS got it droped to an impropper turn. 1/4 the price of ticket, more importantly no Carless record on insurance

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: (Bugs)

I used them a few months ago actually when I owned my Z24.
I came around a merge lane with a Lexus IS300 in front of me, she drove away and I checked for traffic but she stopped and I never saw her and smashed into the back of her car at like 2 km/h. Stupid Toyota's the thing exploded! My Cavalier had a small dent in the side

Anyways I got a DAMN 6 point ticket for careless driving and took it to Pointts. 700 dollars later I only had a 2 point "failed to avoid an accident" minor ticket and it saved my insurance.
I paid 185 a month on my Cavalier and it was going to be over 7 grand a year with the ticket.. whew!

·
Registered
186 Posts

How much over the limit? Also was it a speed trap or just a random cop off the road that busted you? Cause if it was a random cop then you have a very good chance of getting off the ticket, but if it was a speed trap then X-Coppers and the like won't be able to do much more then reduce the fine and take off one point from the ticket, which is the same result if you were to appear in court yourself.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: (Bugs)

Depends on how much the ticket is for, but generally a waste of money IMO.
"We win or you don't pay"....
Here's the deal. Show up in court, the Crown will ask you if you want a deal to plead guilty. Say your ticket is for 90 in a 60 for example, 3 points, $115 bucks.
You'll get asked if you want to plead guilty to 73 in a 60 fer instance, $40 and no points. "You've just won" according to the ticket service folks.
Clean yourself up, nice clothes, haircut, bring your best manners, yes, Sir, no Sir, 3 bags full Sir, you'll do fine.
And if the ticketing officer doesn't show up, you will prolly walk.
Disclaimer - I'm no lawyer, but any ticket I've got (and by no means a ton of them) this has worked just fine, thank you. If you choose to go this route and it doesn't work out, my bad, but you're on your own.
Anyone else wanna weigh in here??

·
Registered
852 Posts
Re: (Macanudo Pete)

Quote, originally posted by Macanudo Pete »
Depends on how much the ticket is for, but generally a waste of money IMO.
"We win or you don't pay"....
Here's the deal. Show up in court, the Crown will ask you if you want a deal to plead guilty. Say your ticket is for 90 in a 60 for example, 3 points, $115 bucks.
You'll get asked if you want to plead guilty to 73 in a 60 fer instance, $40 and no points. "You've just won" according to the ticket service folks.
Clean yourself up, nice clothes, haircut, bring your best manners, yes, Sir, no Sir, 3 bags full Sir, you'll do fine.
And if the ticketing officer doesn't show up, you will prolly walk.
Disclaimer - I'm no lawyer, but any ticket I've got (and by no means a ton of them) this has worked just fine, thank you. If you choose to go this route and it doesn't work out, my bad, but you're on your own.
Anyone else wanna weigh in here??

Couldn't have said better.... Nothing worst than people showing up in court looking like a ragdoll!! Outward appearance plays a big role in court. As for the point guys, save your cash. All they do is just talk to the crown+ the officer and try to swing a deal. I know some officers don't like those point guys and will tell the crown they want to go with the full charge and proceed with a trial. Do like the other says, strike a deal with the crown for a lesser HTA offence, you won't have to say jack in court, the crown will do all the talking. After the JP have the charges read, just plea guilty to the reduced charge.
Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (ZoomBoy)

Quote, originally posted by ZoomBoy »

I paid 185 a month on my Cavalier and it was going to be over 7 grand a year with the ticket.. whew!

So your insurance went up that much because of the 2 point ticket, or was that what you avoided?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (TO_DubR)

Quote, originally posted by TO_DubR »
How much over the limit? Also was it a speed trap or just a random cop off the road that busted you? Cause if it was a random cop then you have a very good chance of getting off the ticket, but if it was a speed trap then X-Coppers and the like won't be able to do much more then reduce the fine and take off one point from the ticket, which is the same result if you were to appear in court yourself.

Random cop 8:47 @ night. Empty roadway 129 in an 80 (i know, i deserve to get caught). He was sitting at a farmers field entrance fishing, didn't see the car at all untill the cherries went on.
It is the end of the month and cops do have to make their quota - so the find a dark spot on a contry road and fish.

·
Registered
4,529 Posts

I got pulled over at a speed trap doing 134 on a 80 zone. 6 points

xcopper is currently fighting it. They seem very cofident in reducing the fine/points. I'll see how they do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (Ginster DE VR6)

Quote, originally posted by Ginster DE VR6 »
I got pulled over at a speed trap doing 134 on a 80 zone. 6 points

xcopper is currently fighting it. They seem very cofident in reducing the fine/points. I'll see how they do.

What is the timeline like? Do you know when you'll find out?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

a friend of mine used to work for xcopper but he has his own place now. his rates are much better than xcopper... he has already helped out a bunch of my vw friends, including some fellow vortexers.
his name is farouk, and his number is in my signature....

·
Registered
4,529 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 3hree 3hree 7even »

What is the timeline like? Do you know when you'll find out?

The original date was for Oct 2. They changed it to December or January. The Secretary was sure. I'm trying to avoid it until after my insurance renewal.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

I got nailed for 62 over a few years back. XCopper got me off completly, with no points or fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (GermaniuM)

Quote, originally posted by GermaniuM »
I got nailed for 62 over a few years back. XCopper got me off completly, with no points or fine.

That is exactly what i want to hear - what was the damage ($) though?

·
Registered
4,529 Posts
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (GermaniuM)

Quote, originally posted by GermaniuM »

That's when xcopper cared, now they act like they are a big company, i'll probably only get it reduced to like 4 points

·
Registered
359 Posts

paced at 170 kph on my CBR929 on 407. Got off w/ Pointts. $~350 CDN.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (asiliat+)

It's a tough call. I've used Xcopper once and I'm still undecided whether or not it was worth it.
I was pulled for careless (6 points, $325 fine) when a cop saw me driving about a foot over the yellow line in the left-most lane on the DVP. I was following a big cube van and wanted to be able to see past him to react to the traffic. Damn motorcycle ******* was demeaning, condescending, and treated me like crap, accusing me of trying to pass on the shoulder. (!)
I couldn't let something as bogus as this ruin my clean record, so I went to Xcopper. They raised the rate from the usual $300 to $500 because the trial was to be held at Old City Hall. I was also asked to attend the trial.
Got there, met up with the Xcopper guy who seemed to know the Crown very well. Worked out a deal to plead it down to driving in an unmarked lane, 2 point, $110 fine.
But the cop never showed so I walked. Either way, I still won, and I can still afford to insure my GTI...

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Re: Has anyone used Points or X Copper? (dmc)

On the "guaranteed to win of it's free" note, I'm not exactly sure how far you have to "win" to be considered a win.
I was told in advance for my careless case that anything less than my initial charge is considered a "win", i.e., reducing it down to a lesser offence. For your ticket, I wouldn't be surprised if they a win is considered reducing it to a lesser fine, no points, or something like that...

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Re: (3hree 3hree 7even)

Quote, originally posted by 3hree 3hree 7even »

So your insurance went up that much because of the 2 point ticket, or was that what you avoided?

That's what I avoided. It was a 6 point careless ticket, that screws anyone over large. 2 points is minor.. same platform as a speeding ticket. At that point its not about the points its about how many tickets you have.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts