VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is starting to throw the code now it seems, it will actually clear itself after some driving but seems to come on again here and there so something is going on it. I can actuate it by hand and it seems to be working okay like that--the arm and all that seems fine and there's certainly spring action/resistance so I think the flappers are working fine TBH. I'm thinking it's the sensor on the end that's gone flaky. Regardless of the issue, the TSB/service campaign covers the replacement.

Funny enough a couple months ago I received a letter stating there's warranty extension/service campaign on the intake manifold...right around the time code started coming up.

My car is not exactly stock--K04, DP, intercooler for engine mods. Should bother with trying to get it replaced or just buy one and replace it myself? Car does not have a TD1 on it as far as I know--only times he's ever been to a stealer is for his first oil change (when he was bone stock), and then for the airbag recall which I put off for years because I don't like people (especially stealers) touching my car.

I'm sure the mani would have failed anyway (it's not liket here's a service campaign/warranty extension for nothing) but you know they can just flag it TD1 and deny based on the mods anyway. Just wondering if anyone tuned/modded has gotten theirs replaced under this or if it's not worth bothering?

On the one hand I'd actually rather replace it myself because I don't trust them touching my car, but on the other hand...free, possibly. Looks like a new one is ~$250 USD from FCP so I mean it's not terrible. I get this can be replaced with something like the HPA manifold but I don't feel like burning thousands for that and a tune for it, when I've been perfectly happy with the stock manifold and standard Uni K04 tune for years.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hmmm, you're in Canada, right? So am I and I haven't got any info. Is this a recall ?

Would you have any TSB/service campaign number or can you copy the letter / email ? I'll check with my Audi guys about the TD1 on modded cars.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, you're in Canada, right? So am I and I haven't got any info. Is this a recall ?

Would you have any TSB/service campaign number or can you copy the letter / email ? I'll check with my Audi guys about the TD1 on modded cars.

Thanks,
It's not a recall. People often call these things recalls but that's in error. Recalls have no time or mileage limit and are government regulated--manufacturer must fix the defect.

This is a Warranty Extension (and will be accompanied by a TSB on the dealer side). Intake mani coverage is extended to 10yrs/193,000km (reason for the odd mileage # is because this is the same as 120,000mi which is presumably what they extended it to in the US). My car turns 9yrs [in-service] old, tomorrow :) I'm nowhere near 193k kms so I basically have a year left.

No campaign # or TSB# accompanies the letter. Just tells you if the MIL is on and the reason is the intake mani (it is in my case), then they replace the intake manifold at no charge.

If you didn't get a letter, you would have to check your VIN at a dealer to see if yours is covered under this extension. If you've already had to replace the intake out of your own pocket and your VIN is covered, then they will reimburse you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It's not a recall. People often call these things recalls but that's in error. Recalls have no time or mileage limit and are government regulated--manufacturer must fix the defect.

This is a Warranty Extension (and will be accompanied by a TSB on the dealer side). Intake mani coverage is extended to 10yrs/193,000km (reason for the odd mileage # is because this is the same as 120,000mi which is presumably what they extended it to in the US). My car turns 9yrs [in-service] old, tomorrow :) I'm nowhere near 193k kms so I basically have a year left.

No campaign # or TSB# accompanies the letter. Just tells you if the MIL is on and the reason is the intake mani (it is in my case), then they replace the intake manifold at no charge.

If you didn't get a letter, you would have to check your VIN at a dealer to see if yours is covered under this extension. If you've already had to replace the intake out of your own pocket and your VIN is covered, then they will reimburse you.
Sounds good, thanks !!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good, thanks !!
Just to be sure, you have a vehicle with a Gen1 EA888? I noticed on another thread you're the guy with that gold one 😁

That car would have an EA113 engine, but you might have another VAG car with the EA888?

EA113 intake is totally different and not really prone to failure, as a note.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I got mine replaced under the extended warranty on my MK6 GTI with a stage 1 tune. they did call me and said the car was flagged as TD1 or something like that for having an ECU tune and they probably wont cover it, I told them that I had bought the car used and had no idea it was tuned as that was my only mod at that point, basically claiming ignorance and they went back and forth for a little bit then went ahead and replaced it for free.

I only had the tune so there was no aftermarket parts on the car at that point so that's probably why my story was believable even though I had just got it tuned 2 months before this.

really depends on the dealer and who you are dealing with. where are you in Canada I'm in the GTA and had it done at Maple VW and they were actually pretty great to deal with, even had them do a carbon cleaning since the manifold was coming off anyways they charged about $200 cad for that.

With that being said I think you may be out of luck though as I remember the dealer telling me that the extended warranty expires at 180,000kms or March of 2020 which ever came first, I did mine in Sept of 2019 at 140k

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmm the fact that you got it done makes me think it would be covered. AFAIK the dealer has nothing to do with whether the repair is covered or not. The TD1 is set and then it's Audi/VW that decides whether the repair is covered, nothing to do with the stealer. The fact the stealer said "they probably won't cover it" both points to the fact that they don't make the decision and the fact that it was covered in the end anyway, meaning a TD1 is not enough for them to deny on this particular extension/campaign it looks like.

As for being out of luck due to time/mileage that makes no sense. I'm guessing your car was a different year (obviously a different model). For my VIN, I only got the letter a couple months ago and it says right in there it's 10 years or 193,000km--I was reading right from it when I typed, above. My car just turned 9 in service, and has around 120,000km on it. I'm def. not doing 70,000+ km in the next year so I definitely have a full year remaining.

So it really comes down to whether I want them to touch the car or not, and I'm leaning on the not side. You're right the carbon cleaning should be done as well, which they will charge for (and of course they should) but who knows what # they are going to come up with for that? I cleaned it myself 2-3 years back. It's a bit early but another cleaning would certainly be in order if the intake is coming off anyway. I might as well do the job myself I think. So much risk when you let these guys touch your car. I had to ponder for years whether I should let them do the airbag recall and finally got it done the past summer. I really tried to just get them to exchange the bag over the counter but all stealers I requested this at, refused. I escaped that airbag exchange without them messing anything up but I dunno if I want to tempt fates let them have at something more mechanical in nature, plus paying them to do more stuff.

Anyway, again light turned off w/o me clearing it so it's fairly intermittent. I'm quite convinced it has to be the sensor on the end as a mechanical breakage would not just fix itself and start working again. I wonder if I could just remove the sensor and clean it or something. I think there are replacement sensors available to be bought (seen them on eBay, etc.) but VAG doesn't sell the part separately so not sure where these come from (could be fakes). Edit: Actually it looks like they do sell it separately now... A genuine one is like $100 USD though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
You can try to get it replaced by them for free. If they ask you to pay you can just buy the piece from ECS tunning that fixes the motor/flap issue. I think is $40-60. Friend of mine did it on his A4 with the same problem few months ago.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Anyway, again light turned off w/o me clearing it so it's fairly intermittent.

mine was intermittent for a week or two with the check engine light before it completely failed and I took it in, I had P2015. the symptoms progressively got worse, at first it was just an engine light that would come and go then it was a misfire at idle, then it would just misfire all the time and shake the engine pretty bad so I parked it for a couple days while I made an appointment with the dealer, when I started it after a couple days of sitting to take it to the dealer it seemed to be normal again for about 20min of driving until I got close to the dealership then it would misfire at every traffic light.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just to be sure, you have a vehicle with a Gen1 EA888? I noticed on another thread you're the guy with that gold one 😁

That car would have an EA113 engine, but you might have another VAG car with the EA888?

EA113 intake is totally different and not really prone to failure, as a note.
Yes, we call her "Goldie", the color name is Dakar Beige.

I believe my engine code is BPY.

Car is 15 yrs old now and has about 210K kms so this Warranty Extension would not apply to me.

Thanks,

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Reactions: Audi'sRevenge

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine was intermittent for a week or two with the check engine light before it completely failed and I took it in, I had P2015. the symptoms progressively got worse, at first it was just an engine light that would come and go then it was a misfire at idle, then it would just misfire all the time and shake the engine pretty bad so I parked it for a couple days while I made an appointment with the dealer, when I started it after a couple days of sitting to take it to the dealer it seemed to be normal again for about 20min of driving until I got close to the dealership then it would misfire at every traffic light.
Well I mean knock on wood but car is actually running awesome right now, feels more powerful and smooth than I remember it being (I didn't drive it too much in the summer having the TT now). Yesterday some yahoos in an MKS (which I imagine had to be the twin-turbo V6) kept egging me on into racing them on the highway :rolleyes: After three times leaving them behind and putting car lengths on them, they gave up and called it a day lol. He's not exactly a fast car by today's standards, but the K04 isn't a joke either ;)

Even before that the last few days I've been feeling like the car is really pulling strong in 6th on the highway. I mean it's not like it was ever bad in that regard per se, it just feels very responsive lately. In the past week I've had to do two 4hr drives and two 2hr drives (there and backs of trips to places) and yeah no issues with intake manifold; I have a feeling it is the sensor but I will probably replace the whole thing when the time comes.

Yes, we call her "Goldie", the color name is Dakar Beige.

I believe my engine code is BPY.

Car is 15 yrs old now and has about 210K kms so this Warranty Extension would not apply to me.

Thanks,
Yeah BPY is an EA113 motor so it's a different intake that really isn't prone to issues like the EA888 Gen1/2 engines. I mean I'm sure it could have problems there but they were never anything big or common to my knowlege; nothing that caused any warranty extension anyway.

And yeah your car looks in awesome shape for 15 years old! :) People comment my car "looks like new" a lot but he's only 9 now, got a good bit to go before being mid teens lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Yeah BPY is an EA113 motor so it's a different intake that really isn't prone to issues like the EA888 Gen1/2 engines. I mean I'm sure it could have problems there but they were never anything big or common to my knowlege; nothing that caused any warranty extension anyway.
Good to know, thanks !

And yeah your car looks in awesome shape for 15 years old! :) People comment my car "looks like new" a lot but he's only 9 now, got a good bit to go before being mid teens lol.
Thanks ! I'm sure you will keep yours in a great shape so it will look the same in 6 years !! ;-)

Reactions: Audi'sRevenge
1 - 12 of 12 Posts