VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted in another post, MT and C&T acceleration test times for the R are considerably different. Putting 0-60 times aside the 1/4 trap speeds and times are not even close. I'm assuming both tests were ran with European models. To make matters more interesting two recent Carwow videos noted that the Golf R was measurably slower on a second test. Carwow's first test times and speeds were close to CD's. Has VW detuned the R after its Euro launch? Were the first cars out ringers?

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
915 Posts
As noted in another post, MT and C&T acceleration test times for the R are considerably different. Putting 0-60 times aside the 1/4 trap speeds and times are not even close. I'm assuming both tests were ran with European models. To make matters more interesting two recent Carwow videos noted that the Golf R was measurably slower on a second test. Carwow's first test times and speeds were close to CD's. Has VW detuned the R after its Euro launch? Were the first cars out ringers?
MT's results are garbage, not only is their 8R 0-60 slower than most 7R numbers, it's slower than the MkIV R32. Don't believe it for a second.

Reactions: #123

·
Registered
479 Posts
No way to know on the detuned question at this time. Hope not as that would really turn me off to VW.

The only US car to 60 times I am aware of were dual-clutch from Redline Reviews where he did 3 runs with a passenger 1st was a slight uphill 4.59, second was uphill 2% grade 4.6 and third was slight downhill 4.59. The mileage on the car, tire pressure and condition of road were not mentioned.

The only two from Carwow that I've seen were 4.03 and 4.05.

So on good flat road with no passenger improved times look possible for the U.S. spec.

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
915 Posts
No way to know on the detuned question at this time. Hope not as that would really turn me off to VW.

The only US car to 60 times I am aware of were dual-clutch from Redline Reviews where he did 3 runs with a passenger 1st was a slight uphill 4.59, second was uphill 2% grade 4.6 and third was slight downhill 4.59. The mileage on the car, tire pressure and condition of road were not mentioned.

So on good flat road with no passenger improved times look possible for the U.S. spec.
Remember the Euro car has more torque. It'll hit peak power earlier and continue to hold it.

·
Registered
45 Posts

It was also in Asheville, North Carolina where the altitude is given over 2,000 feet. Compared to the elevation in the UK, that could definitely affect the results. From the napkin math I did when watching US launches, it looks very comparable to the original UK reviews when all the variables are taken into account.

·
Registered
177 Posts

I believe Carwow does that 1 foot rollout thing, so their 0-60 times will be faster.
Automann-TV did a run using both methods: without rollout they got 0-100 km/h in 4.51 s, and with rollout 4.33 s.
Theng he specifically mentions Carwow using rollout and does a 0-60 mph test to get 4.09 s (with rollout). Unfortunately he doesn’t do a non rollout test using mph, but likely it would be slower by a little less than 2 tenths, as above.
I pasted the link, runs start around 50 s.
Linky link

·
Registered
479 Posts
At 2,000 feet that would be ~6% loss of power with normally aspirated vehicle.
The turbo does compensate for air density at least until it reaches its limit, but still some loss here.

I would expect a noticeable difference using 93 verses 91. TN does have 93 so maybe the car did have 93 in tank.

Yeah I was not saying I think the US spec is going to be as quick as being seen with the UK spec. I'd just like to see a Car and Driver road test with the US spec R.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts