VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was lucky enough to snag one of these after putting in an order for one last summer. It arrived to the dealer in September of last fall and I've been enjoying it ever since. Unfortunately it sits for three weeks in a garage under a cover while I'm at sea, which seems like a crime for a car like this. I got off the boat the other day and we had a warm day finally so I did a quick and dirty detail. I had the hatch open to dry the top of the rear bumper after washing it. I backed it out of the garage and noticed the back-up camera didn't come on, but didn't think much of it. 20 minutes later when I went to load up some skis and the hatch wouldn't open at all. Tried using the key and the emblem/latch, still nothing. Tried unlocking and relocating the car several times and trying the hatch again, still nothing.
I swung by the dealership the next day to have the MIB updated and asked them to take a look at it. I left with them scratching their heads an appointment for a few days later for a more in depth look at it. I'm wondering if any one else has run into this sort of issue before? I'm planning on taking the trim off tomorrow morning to make sure its not something simple like a loose connector. Any thoughts would be welcome!

·
Registered
388 Posts
is the hatch in a position where it is not quite connected, but connected enough to not give a dash warning?
What about the alarm, does it activate when you walk away?
It could be the locking mechanism freezing - staying in the locked position. Not sure if this is a solenoid or not....but if the dealer can't diagnose, it could be something rare.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I lock the car, the horn does sound so i'm assuming everything is locking and the hatch is fully closed. When the car is in gear the display doesn't show that the hatch is open and there is no audible alarm. I'm thinking its a power supply problem since the reverse camera isn't functioning either. The tech didn't have time to pull the trim off to check wiring so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow to see if it isn't something simple.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had some strangeness with mine the other day. For some reason the key fob wouldn't trigger the unlock and I had to do it from the inside. I noticed after that I was getting an error with the back up camera. I could hear it activate but the screen would show an error. I did some searching this morning, and some how locking and unlocking the hatch with the key fob triggered a reset and the camera was fixed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I lock the car, the horn does sound so i'm assuming everything is locking and the hatch is fully closed. When the car is in gear the display doesn't show that the hatch is open and there is no audible alarm. I'm thinking its a power supply problem since the reverse camera isn't functioning either. The tech didn't have time to pull the trim off to check wiring so I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow to see if it isn't something simple.
Did you ever get this resolved? I've had some similar, odd issues with my 2016 Tiguan hatch release.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I had an issue with mine not locking. Took off the trim, inspected the mechanism, manually moved it around and suddenly it worked again. Been fine since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts