VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic comes up all too often, so I figured it was about time that these locations got posted. FYI, these locations were photographed on a 99.5 Jetta - the locations may differ slightly on the Golf/GTI and on later model-year cars.
If you have water leaking into your MKIV, make sure to check that the drain tubes for the sunroof tray (all sunroofs leak - the tray catches the water so that doesn't enter the car and tubes carry is safely away).
The sunroof tray has 4 drain holes in it, one in each corner, i.e., front left, front right, rear left and rear right. The two pictures below show the location of the front right drain hole. The holes at the other locations are similar.
NOTE: The rear holes are covered by the roof and are not normally visible.

Each of the four drain holes is connected to a tube that runs through the A- and C-pillars and end at a nipple. It is common for the nipple to stick closed and not drain the water out of the tube. When this occurs, the water backs up into the sunroof tray and overflows into the car. If you notice a wet headliner in proximity to the sunroof opening, then this is most likely the cause. To drain the tubes, squeeze the nipples and some water and other crap may/should flow out. If you think there may be a tube clog, it's a good idea to carefully pour a cup or so of water into the sunroof tray to flush each of the tubes out. I would do this until the water flows out clearly and easily.
NOTE: Some repositioning of the car may be necessary to individually place each of the drain holes at the lowest point of the tray ... that is unless you've figured out a way to beat gravity and make water flow uphill.

The four drain tube nipples are shown in the pics below.

Gary

Modified by VgRt6 at 8:25 AM 3-30-2005

·
Registered
16,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (melanotaenia)

Anytime Jonathan.

BTW, when are you taking me for a ride in the .:R? We're replacing brakes and flushing brake fluid this Saturday up at my place if you want to stop by. You can take us for a ride in the .:R and you can take a ride in my friend's APR Stage III 1.8T Jetta. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Gary

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Oops,
I cut them.
I live in an apartment and park the car in an underground garage, so no critters here

BTW, i thought those were supposed to be cut. How's the water going to drain if the tubes aren't cut?
Just a curious question

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
You are my hero

·
Registered
817 Posts
Re: (nutsofast1.8T)

what about the rear drain holes of a gti, are they in the same place? I have water stains on my right rear c pillar from the head liner to the seat noticed it at waterfest, you know how bad it rained there on sunday.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Re: (automan21)

Mmmm... nipples.
Nice work, Gary (as usual). I found out about these drain plugs the hard way this winter during the apocalyptic Southern California rainfall. Came back to my car one afternoon, and the rear passenger side footwell had an inch of standing water in it. Not fun. Particularly since it took a good three months to completely eliminate the odor.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Have a water leak? - MKIV sunroof drain locations (VgRt6)

I was wondering what those were for. The body shop that unsmashed my car didn't mask one of them off. Wonder if that one still drains.
Thanks, you always out do yourself. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.