VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am going to make this quick so I am not late for class. I am no newb to the 'tex but quite new to Body Work.
This past weekend I was involved in an accident (rear ended by a police officer) and was thinking about shaving the rear bumper on my car. The dealership that I talked to said they could do it but wouldn't recommend it at all because it wouldn't be very durable. They said if it was just tapped in the parking lot or something that it would crack and what not. I am also worried about paint chipping around this area or the filler sinking or something. I did some quick searching and read about some 3M products that might do the job? Does anybody have any input on something like this? Anything you can tell me would be helpful, because once again, I AM a newb to the Body Work thing. If it isn't going to even last me a year then I'd rather just get it redone stock. Ask questions if needed and I'll reply as soon as I get back from class. Thanks in advance!!!

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Re: Have an important questiona bout shaving bumpers on MK4. Please help. (dox)

As long as you use a good flexible filler.......you should be alright for a few years. Probably even longer since your in Az.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
543 Posts
Re: Have an important questiona bout shaving bumpers on MK4. Please help. (bongoRA3)

Vibration will be your only concern w/ just using straight filler, it will more than likely crack. With the high temps you live in, the different materials will expand and contract at different rates. Best way to do it is to get some scrap urethane and patch it in.

· Registered
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Have an important questiona bout shaving bumpers on MK4. Please help. ([email protected])

Patch it in with what though? Sorry I don't know much about this stuff. What about using Rage Gold or something like that. I heard that stuff is hard, but flexible so where it won't crack. Ever heard of it?

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Re: Have an important questiona bout shaving bumpers on MK4. Please help. (dox)

Rage gold is a bondo type filler....just sands easier then regular bondo and gives u less pin holes.
You need a heavy duty flexible filler. I have used duramix 4030 with good results.....you might want to try and plastic weld as many of the holes first....duramix is expensive.....so the less areas you need to fill the better. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
04 R32. Mk4 imola GTI with 3.2 swap v
9,148 Posts
Re: Have an important questiona bout shaving bumpers on MK4. Please help. (bongoRA3)

ive used fusor products on mine----i like them a little better than the duramix-----seems to be pretty durable, i mean i flexed the bumper and no cracking

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.