VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: have anybody used this clamp for their brake install (doN_R6)

i was unsuccessful with this tool on the rear pistons.
you need to use it with something that pushs against
the calipers...

·
Registered
143 Posts

I've got one and it didn't work for me on my 2001 passat wagon. I used a standard brake piston tool and turned them with a padded vise grip. Personally I'd rec getting the correct tool. I'm purchasing one soon for my front pad job at approx. 60 thousand miles.

·
Registered
634 Posts

I just used a tool like that this past weekend to replace the rear pads on my 2000 GTI VR6, and it worked fine. All you need is a 3/8" ratchet and an extension and you're good to go. I had to use a Dremel to get the tool to fit correctly, but that only took a couple minutes. Using the cube tool requires a little elbowgrease, because you have to supply the pressure to push the piston back in yourself; you have to push hard and turn at the same time (there's no clamp or thread to help). I had a friend help me, and it went fairly smoothly. Once you get the piston going in, it moves fine.
We did need to use a regular piston tool on one side (you know, the threaded clamp type), because all we could do was rotate the piston -- it wasn't moving in at all. After just a tiny push in with the regular tool though, we were able to push and turn using the cube tool. It definitely would have been easier with the special tool, but I'm glad I was able to save the money (the cube tool plus the regular tool were $15, instead of the $60 I saw for the special tool).
That was all for original-size brake work though -- I don't have any experience with putting in big brake kits. Hope this helps anyway!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: have anybody used this clamp for their brake install (JohnJP27)

Hey, I don't want to insult anyone so take it for what it is worth.
My father in law is a mechanic and told me I would not have to put so much effort into compressing the caliper pistons if I just took the cap off the brake fluid reservoir. All I can say is that it works great for me. I don't have to compress them at all now if I take the cap off before I pull the pads off. No back pressure I guess.
Later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts