VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So once I got my remote starter switch working (Thanks Butcher) I immediately checked for spark and found that there wasn't any. So I started looking at the distributor and quickly found that contacts on the cap and rotor were all pretty badly corroded. Given the likelihood that the points would be corroded as well, I started digging deeper but didn't find what I expected. Instead of a set of points and condenser, I found what I understand to be a "reluctor" ... a what?

May I ask someone to help me understand what I'm looking at here, please? If this is an electronic ignition setup, is there maintenance to be done like there is with a points setup, or should I just clean up the cap and rotor and try again?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rim Crankset
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

Thanks for the help!
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I think I found it. In my Service Manual on page 5:18 is a breakdown of the so-called "Breakerless Distributor". It appears that this type of distributor was used for Sciroccos sold in California only. I thought that my car was originally sold in Virginia, but that seems not to be the case.

Regardless, the manual seems to assert that no maintenance is required as there would be for a points-based distributor, so I guess I'll proceed with the rotor and cap cleanup and try again. If that doesn't work, then I'll see what else I can learn from the manual. Does that sound like the right plan?

Keep your fingers crossed. I'd love to see this thing fire up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.