VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, this weekend I changed the motor oil in my 95 Jetta and my 95 Windstar (aarrgh - married with kids!).
My ride loves Mobil One 0W-40. Shifts smooth as butter and better gas mileage and one more horse due to reduced engine friction!
Two cars in one day!
Installed this nice drain plug improvement:

No need ever remove you drain plug again - just screw drain line into fitting to open valve and let drain.
I'm syked.

· Registered
1,779 Posts
Re: Have You Changed Your Oil Lately? (Pow3r Hour)

Quote, originally posted by Pow3r Hour »
too bad i would prolly snap that off in .5 seconds when i bottom out

haha X2

· Registered
10,845 Posts
Re: Have You Changed Your Oil Lately? (jtdunc)

Is it really that hard for people to unbolt the drain plug? The only thing you have to make sure is that you have an extra crush washer for when you put it back.
I have a plug with a magnet on it to catch little bits that are in the oil, damn cheap too

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

too bad i would prolly snap that off in .5 seconds when i bottom out

It does not stick out below the oil pan. I just extends out from your plug. No increased risk of bottoming out and breaking it off.

· Registered
7,354 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jtdunc »

It does not stick out below the oil pan. I just extends out from your plug. No increased risk of bottoming out and breaking it off.

i scrape my plug too. I usually have to replace the plug every other oil change

· Banned
24,199 Posts

i rub that plug on every speed bump

· Registered
10,845 Posts

from the package pic, the end that sticks out is def longer than the stock plug, and that dosen't even matter, b/c people still scrape and rip the plug out all the time.

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (98VWJettainTX)

Quote, originally posted by 98VWJettainTX »
so does it really matter what weight to run on the oil.....30w vs 40w? What kind of things can happen running 0W?

Better flowing at colder temperatures.
As a thinner oil, drains faster too

OW-40 is the recommended Mobil One oil weight for MKIII VWs.
It's also used for many European cars like MBZ too.
And you can run a good 7500-8000 miles so it's cost difference is small since you aren't blowing extra hours every year changing oil.

· Registered
8,287 Posts

i scrape my plug too. I usually have to replace the plug every other oil change

IIRC plug replacment every other oil change is reccomended http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (soccergk)

Quote, originally posted by soccergk »
i use the sure drain....works well if your not slammed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Well, I'm not a big fan of most FRAM products but this one really is well thought out.
And FRAM has been retailing these for five years plus - if all of the dubbers and ricers with dropped cars where losing their Sure Drain plugs, we'd hear about it.
I'm running a Weitec 60/40 cup kit and I think I have about 5" clearance for my oil pan.
So if you tear this out, it will be the least of your problems as you will have destroyed your oil pan, your wheel and hub assemblies with that kind of an impact.

· Banned
24,199 Posts
Re: (jtdunc)

So if you tear this out, it will be the least of your problems as you will have destroyed your oil pan, your wheel and hub assemblies with that kind of an impact.
ya, the 70 bucks in oil will be expensive

· Registered
10,845 Posts
Re: (jtdunc)

Um, i couldn't scrape my drain plug out with a 60/40 even if I wanted too. And how many "dubbers and ricers" do yo know this these, did you make a poll? Call people at random to ask?
Chill out, we all have our opinions, and people that are lower than 60/40 could easily rip that plug out. Most people here i bet don't even let a fram product touch their vw's.

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Have You Changed Your Oil Lately? (FlyBy)

Quote, originally posted by FlyBy »
Is it really that hard for people to unbolt the drain plug? The only thing you have to make sure is that you have an extra crush washer for when you put it back.
I have a plug with a magnet on it to catch little bits that are in the oil, damn cheap too

Do you know how many oil drain plugs get stripped and overtorqued by gorillas at Jiffy Lube?
Too many - that's why auto parts stores sell tons of oversized drain plugs.
It's a better practice to replace breakables and consumables with better designed parts.
Look at our window regulators - same concept - if someone used more metal and a better design - all of the regulators would not be breaking.
Same here - sometime innovation is good.
Better way to drain your oil without the mess or the risk of stripping that drain plug as I'm sure most of us are not using torque wrenches on our drain plugs - at least I'm not ANYMORE!

· Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: Have You Changed Your Oil Lately? (FlyBy)

Quote, originally posted by FlyBy »

Hit search and you'll find plenty of dubbers overtorquing, stripping, or otherwise screwing up their drain bolts or oil pans.
This product or simialr products avoids that risk. That's all. I can always go back if I want too. Just a bolt with a valve built in.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.