VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was it a sudden and complete absense of braking power? or was it gradual and foretelling?
and, how did you deal with the situation?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (some9one)

YES, i was in my g/f 1993 vw cabie and i was slowing down to stop for a red light. when i got to 10mph> x >5mph i felt a complete loss of braking power. i hit the person in front who hit the person in the Audi in front of here. Absolutely no damage was done to any car not even a scratch, except for the vw's bumper that was pushed in a little. the women in the car i hit ws complaining of neck injuries
. theres no way she got hurt, even the cops and fighter fighters were like
to her. she had a friend pick her up and once she got in the car they both started to laugh
. she filed a clam w/ my g/f insurance company but i don't know what happened. it was such a Small accident we weren't even going to call it in but that bitch had to go and say that her neck hurt. turns out the brake line was rubbing up against something and Finlay snapped. good thing it didn't happen while getting off the highway or something. her car feels like a tin can.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (foolery)

yes, I was trying to heel-toe and my foot slipped...

·
Banned
4,566 Posts

In my 1967 Pontiac with non-power 4 wheel drums. The brakes slowly started losing effect and I had to use the emergency brake to slow down until I managed to get home. The master cylinder had sprung a leak.

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (PackRat)

81 citation(my first car) brakes went on me... i jumped onto a grass median to avoid hitting aynone...

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (gizmopop)

Just the other week, I blew a brake line in my 2001 Dodge cargo van. hit the brake pedal, the warning lights came on, pedal went to the floor and NO BRAKES.
Scariest f**kin feeling in the world. Lucky I was in a parking lot so all I hit was a cement lightpost
but still.......

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (SciroccoGirl)

A few years ago we were hauling landscaping rocks in an old Courier pickup. You know how it gets when you're loading stuff up..."well lets just put in a few more, that way we won't have to make a second trip."
We were going down a steep hill and the brakes went out completely. I wasn't driving which made it even more scary. We made it down okay, but to this day I'm simply amazed we didn't hit anyone or kill ourselves...

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,201 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PackRat »
In my 1967 Pontiac with non-power 4 wheel drums. The brakes slowly started losing effect and I had to use the emergency brake to slow down until I managed to get home. The master cylinder had sprung a leak.

Same here in my 87 Chevy Spectrum.

·
Registered
974 Posts

Yes -- '56 Ghia, the brake pedal came uncoupled from the master cylinder (no brakes at all) while slowing from 45mph to stop behind traffic at a light... I jerked up on the parking brake and the car stopped NOW... my buddy in the passenger seat (no seatbelts) was freaked out

I drove it that way to the local VW shop and fixed it in the parking lot -- no problem!

·
Banned
13,716 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (krzysztof)

Yep, the line to the master cylinder in my 1990 CRX cracked. Pumping worked, and also smart use of the e-brake.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (JrodVW)

Going down a steep hill to stop at a red light, my dad had just changed the brake pads (I was 17 at the time), and forgot to tell me. They werent broken in, so I wasnt stopping at all! I dropped it into first, and used the parking brake, barely stopped behind the line!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (Black Jetta GT)

Yeah, I just experienced a sudden brake failure the yesterday in my MKIV Jetta. I hit a nasty pothole the other day and apparently It loosened one of my caliper carrier bolts
. My caliper fell off yesterday and ground against my rim which took out my wheel weights. Scary f****** feeling. The car first skid, then hopped, and then made an awful grinding noise. I didn't know what happened at first, but the first street I could turn onto happened to be my local VW dealer and they had a carrier bolt for me. I just fixed it in the parking lot.

·
Registered
21,996 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (VR6MKIV)

'67 mini.
my first drive in it after getting it running.
the bolt connecting the brake pedal to the MC snapped and instant no brakes.
hellooo ebrake.

·
Registered
896 Posts

Yup, about 10 years ago. My parents '86 Pontiac 6000. I was picking my mom up from work and part way home I tried to slow a bit down for a curve in the road...nothing. Nursed it home so my dad could take a look at it (he's a mechanic) Turned out that there was a pinhole in one of the brake lines.

·
Registered
150 Posts

reminds me of a song I know....
Me an' Earl was haulin' chickens on a flatbed out of Wiggins, and we'd spent all night on the uphill side of thirty-seven miles of hell called Wolf Creek Pass. Which is up on the Great Divide?
We was settin' there suckin' toothpicks, drinkin' Nehi and onion soup mix, and I said, "Earl, let's mail a card to Mother then send them chickens on down the other side. Yeah, let's give 'em a ride."
[Chorus]
Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the Great Divide
Truckin' on down the other side
Well, Earl put down his bottle, mashed his foot down on the throttle, and then a couple'a boobs with a thousand cubes in a nineteen-forty-eight Peterbilt screamed to life. We woke up the chickens.
Well, we roared up offa that shoulder sprayin' pine cones, rocks, and boulders, and put four hundred head of them Rhode Island reds and a couple a' burnt-out roosters on the line. Look out below; 'cause here we go!
Well, we commenced to truckin' and them hens commenced to cluckin' and then Earl took out a match and scratched his pants and lit up the unused half of a dollar cigar and took a puff. Says "My, ain't this purdy up here."
I says, "Earl, this hill can spill us. You better slow down or you gonna kill us. Just make one mistake and it's the Pearly Gates for them eight-five crates a' USDA-approved cluckers. You wanna hit second?"
[Chorus]
Wolf Creek Pass, way up on the Great Divide
Truckin' on down the other side
Well, Earl grabbed on the shifter and he stabbed her into fifth gear and then the chromium-plated, fully-illuminated genuine accessory shift knob come right off in his hand. I says, "You wanna screw that thing back on, Earl?"
He was tryin' to thread it on there when the fire fell off a' his cigar and dropped on down, sorta rolled around, and then lit in the cuff of Earl's pants and burned a hole in his sock. Yeah, sorta set him right on fire.
I looked on outta the window and I started countin' phone poles, goin' by at the rate of four to the seventh power. Well I put two and two together, and added twelve and carried five; come up with twenty-two thousand telephone poles an hour.
I looked at Earl and his eyes was wide, his lip was curled, and his leg was fried. And his hand was froze to the wheel like a tongue to a sled in the middle of a blizzard. I says, "Earl, I'm not the type to complain; but the time has come for me to explain that if you don't apply some brake real soon, they're gonna have to pick us up with a stick and a spoon."
Well, Earl rared back, and cocked his leg, stepped as down as hard as he could on the brake, and the pedal went clear to the floor and stayed there, right there on the floor. He said it was sorta like steppin' on a plum.
Well, from there on down it just wasn't real purdy: it was hairpin county and switchback city. One of 'em looked like a can full'a worms; another one looked like malaria germs. Right in the middle of the whole damn show was a real nice tunnel, now wouldn't you know?
Sign says clearance to the twelve-foot line, but the chickens was stacked to thirteen-nine. Well we shot that tunnel at a hundred-and-ten, like gas through a funnel and eggs through a hen, and we took that top row of chickens off slicker than scum off a Lousiana swamp. Went down and around and around and down 'til we run outta ground at the edge of town. Bashed into the side of the feed store... in downtown Pagosa Springs.

·
Registered
993 C2, MK4 GTI, MK7.5 R
8,063 Posts
I lost the servo on my MK1 diesel. I just drove very carefully to my mechanics, using the engine to slow down.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (2 F1 Fans)

The mid-80's BMW E28s use a funky hydraulic brake pressure accumulator nicknamed the "brake bomb" (because it resembles a cartoon black bomb). Brake bombs go eventually, but the brakes still work for normal driving. Only during a quick or emergency stop do you notice it's gone.
In my case, I jumped on the brakes in city traffic. Typical dead brake bomb symptoms... you slam on the brake pedal and it doesn't move. You might as well be stomping on a concrete floor... no matter how muscular you are, it's not going anywhere. Then, 1 or 2 seconds later (after the pressure accumulates), the pedal finally seems to "exhale" and depress.
Very scary stomping on a brake pedal that doesn't move. 2 seconds of terror, THEN you stop. Luckily I didn't hit anything.

·
Registered
16,243 Posts

I lost in pressure in my old RX7 once. Sitting at a light, my foot sunk to the floor. That was it

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Re: Have you ever encountered sudden brake failure while driving? (Hawkmoon)

In a 94 Viper RT-10 doing over 120mph. The front left caliper actually seperated when I applied the brakes. As it blew off its bracket it pulled all the lines apart and almost instantly blew out all the brake fluid. I had to ditch it off the road to miss rear-ending the car in front of me then try and stop it with two wheels in the dirt using only the e-brake and downshifting. It was the scariest 10 or 15 seconds of my life. Thank god I didnt wreck my Uncle's Viper.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts

gradual.... used some bunk ass german crap brake fluid made for bentlys and RR's that Olympic auto parts quoted me as what I needed. It ate away my seals in my master cyl and the brakes faded away to nothing while driving to the inspection station. I used the E brake the rest of the way home.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts