VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,677 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (RedIrishman)

hahah, thats pretty cool man, i have a couple of things i want to do but haven't gotten around to it... definitely interested to see what people of TCL have come up with though!

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (Avicenna)

I modified my passenger side turn signal and put some aluminum mesh in it to create a custom air scoop for my SMIC.
I also made a camera mount for in-car video, a fire extinquisher mount for when I take my car to the track, and a custom pod for my boost gauge.
I used to have a custom CAI for my car, but I removed it a long while back.
EDIT: Pics of the turn signal scoop and gauge pod

scoop from a distance (@ Lime Rock Park)

Modified by Mikes72sb at 4:18 PM 11-1-2006

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (Mikes72sb)

I bought some strips of brushed aluminum, took a dremel and carved the beetle turbo lettering into it. $15 aluminum door strips http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
'22 Maverick. '03 9-3, '67 Fairlady
20,171 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (OwenS83)

When my engine first came out in 2003, there was no intakes availible, since it was a brand new enginie. So I engineered my own, and ran like that for a long whlie, until I upgraded to an aftermarket CAI when they came to the market. It looked nicer, and worked a little better.
I've also modified my seats to allow for an anti-sub strap to come through the seat bottom. Tried to do it in a way so it looked well integrated into the seat.
I also make my own guage pod. There is a coin holder next to the gauge cluster, and I cut that out, and put 2 2-1/16" gauges there for oil pressure and oil temperature. Its not really pretty, but its all handmade.
Right now, I have delusions of doing a direct port nitrous setup, and have been designing in a CAD-like program a fuel/nitrous rail for my engine.

·
Registered
47,893 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (Egz)

I've fabbed a few things in the past. Carb likage, assorted brackets, cut and welded sheet metal pieces to repair rusty old bugs. Nothing that would take an engineer, but not too bad for a backyard fabricator. It's one of my favorite things to do... after engine planning/building.
Nice job on the logo, btw.

·
Registered
14,392 Posts

I used these

to make a "custom" ipod "mount". stuck the soft side to the ipod, put the other side on my dash right in line with the 3 blower knobs, covering my hazard button.

In other words, I stuck my ipod to the dash with velcro. And i've literally had people ask me where I bought my mounting kit

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (GTiTOM)

i made an 8"subwoofer enclosure in the little compartment in the trunk of my mkiv golf out of fiberglass. i don't have the golf anymore but i think i still have the enclosure in the garage.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts

Turbo manifold and downpipe for my Mazda. Unbelievable pain in the ass, but nobody makes anything for this engine so I had no choice. Cant take all the credit since I cant weld for ****, so a friend of mine helped me with it. Unfortunately one of the welds cracked after the first 1000 miles, so it needs to be fixed.
Also the complete engine electrical system was made by me, and fortunately that seems to be holding up ok.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Re: ([email protected])

Made custom coor cards and carpet for my 84 GTI. Also sub enclosure. Last, I made an in dash microcomputer w/ MP3 playback via SD card and LCD that displays outside air temp, engine bay temp, engine oil temp, water temp, tranny case temp.. thinking about adding a g-meter too.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Re: (Corbic)

Quote, originally posted by Corbic »
Where the hell do you live that you can get away with that? Hell Snow Tires are pratically illegal up here.

there ice racing tires, thats it

·
Registered
11,109 Posts

I got some aircraft aluminum bar stock from my dad and turned (on a lathe) some lock indicators (the ones that stick out of the doors) for my buddies Mk-2 Jetta and my other friends, girlfriends Mk-3 Jetta... They looked quite good (I had a Mk-4 which has lock indicators you can't just unscrew out :-( ).
The ones on the Mk-2 were brushed with a larger dia top section with 3 grooves in them... The Mk-3 ones were same diameter all the way up with 2 grooves at the top and highly polished finish.

My dad has a hand made trailer hitch that lets his trailer sit 100% level when the car's load leveling suspension is fully jacked up. He was tired of having the back end of the trailer hanging down. He then nickle plated it so it wouldn't corrode and installed a tie-down bar on it so we could easily hook anything that was mounted to the roof. On the trailer itself he has a hand made roof rack made out of high strength aluminum - again all nickle plated for better surface finish and corrosion resistance (aluminum does oxidize in weather... it gets all white and nasty)... The things you can do when you manage a machine shop and are a tool-maker by trade

Modified by Live-Wire at 2:01 PM 11-1-2006

·
Registered
32,252 Posts
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (Live-Wire)

I fabricated the radio DIN slot cover panel into a very OEM looking panel for my Nokia 610 car phone's display.

·
Banned
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Have you made anything custom on your car? (Son of a B...5er!)

Quote, originally posted by Son of a B...5er! »
I fabricated the radio DIN slot cover panel into a very OEM looking panel for my Nokia 610 car phone's display.

That's uber sexy

·
Premium Member
11,258 Posts

Me and my buddy made a false floor for where my back seats were.
Pic is before it got carpeted.

Also made a speaker box to fit in factory location and fit a 12" audiobahn. No pics of it. And probably my personal best work are the carbon fiber door grabs. Came out 100X better than I expected. In the pic I still had alittle wet sanding to do cause some edges were alittle rough but still look good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.