VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its the perfect place for a blaupunkt 6CD front-loaded changer, or anything you havent discovered place for.
I just discovered that if you take-out the cubby under the armrest the big part is a perect DIN-Slot...
As there are many people in europe that use the 2DIN Navigation system, a new DINSlot just comes in hand for a CD-Changer.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (truncatus)

Nope, that is, not until I saw this post. I just went out and looked, and yep, there's a slot alright.
I wouldn't think a CD changer would be the thing to put there though... unless you find one that's specifically made to work in a vertical orientation. Most of the vibration/shock dampening in cd player units only work when the unit is on a horizontal plane. This has a lot to do with the fact that shocks on a unit mounted vertically can actually move the laser & lens assembly... the resulting retrack can take a couple of seconds.
Of course it might be OK if it's got a nice long ESP buffer.

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts

In Europe, you have a choice of either CD changer in the trunk, or CD changer in the armrest.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (candyweißpassat)

I believe most late model CD changers of good brand names have the vertical orientation adjustment. I bought an Alpine 6 disc changer about a year ago and it had it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (vidaloca32)

nyibpass,
It's called a gimble mount, and every changer I've purchased since the rearly 90's has a position lever to reorient the mount for horizintal, or vertical positionin of the unit. Hell the OEM ones do to...including the indash.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Are you guys refering to the center console armrest? If so, you have to remove the 2-slot liner in the console, right? How do you do that?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (Becoolonce)

Yeah.....how?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (Becoolonce)

Becoolonce,
"ttt"?!?! wthit! (what the heck is that)

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (nyibpass)

nyibpass: The VW unit is adjustable for mounting orientation.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (NC-GTI)

Slick answer NC-GTI...... To bad it doesn't answer the question though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (Paul6506)

Back to top.
No, really, how do you remove the liner? I just got my car a bit over two weeks ago and am not ready to start ripping it into pieces just yet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Have you noticed the 1DIN-Slot under the armrest of your B5.5s? (Reason)

For those of you itching to know:
After another one of those pointless drives, I decided to try and remove the cubbyhole myself. The liner is held in by a couple of plastic pieces and should pop out safely provided you apply enough force. Pull on the divider in the middle and also on the side closer to the passenger and it'll pop right out.
How would you hook up a CD changer to it, though? There's no wiring inside of that compartment?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts