VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious as to how many people have received this code. And which chip, if any, they were using.
It seems to be common, if not exclusive, with APR on AWP ECU's so I wanted to do a little research.
If you found a way to clear this error please post. (beyond buying a new ECU) I have heard of two common methods, 1) Charging the battery (low voltage may trigger this code) 2) Taking the positve and negative battery connection terminals and touching them together to reset modules in the car that may retain errors.
My error was triggered along with a 17608 DTC for my DV being too tight and causing fluttering. I cleared the codes loosen my DV spring, but the 16985 DTC remained. Mine is an APR AWP.

Modified by judoGTI at 7:01 PM 6-30-2003

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (judoGTI)

Go APR.

Modified by SmokinDub at 9:00 PM 4-21-2004

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (SmokinDub)

APR AWP, currently sent my ECU to APR for examination.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (SmokinDub)

Quote, originally posted by SmokinDub »
APR AWP, I get that code all the time.

Are you able to clear it? Or is it permanently embedded onto your ECU?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (judoGTI)

I've had this code and am inclined to believe (technical VW sources) that aftermarket DV's are sometimes responsible for checksum problems. I reinstalled the OEM Bosch DV and so far, so good. I wouldn't immediately blame APR because there are thousands of their modules in service. Since Bosch ECM failures are not uncommon, it's possible that certain files might aggravate a borderline ECN. Perhaps an APR rep. might comment...
A more comprehensive poll might also inquire about what DV's were in service and when installed relative to the chip. Your dealer should replace the ECM under warranty if you can dodge the chip issue. You do have the ability (options) to return to stock and lock out inquiring minds, yes?

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (medium cool)

APR AWP (03 LP), Baileys DV, N75H
No such error codes regarding checksum.
For the record, I only get MAF signal too high error codes (probably due to CAI and Samco/Forge TIP) once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
325 Posts

If you get that code.. then you need a new ECU.
the Diverter valve has sbsolutely NOTHING to do with it.
Later,
Mike

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (Staley)

Quote, originally posted by Staley »
Later,
Mike

Excellent - any suggestions on how to get this done on a chipped ECU?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (medium cool)

Don't get me wrong, Im not pointing my finger to APR. IT could just as well be an irregularity in the AWP software and have n othing to do with APR. I'm just doing some research. I would of have a more comprehensive poll but you are only allowed 10 choices
I'm sure if people have the code they will chime in.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (Staley)

Quote, originally posted by Staley »
Later,
Mike

Well I was tinkering with my DV and it triggered it. And the guy above said that he 'heard' aftermarket DVs can lead to it. Again, this proves nothing but it is interesting.
There is another thread where people were able to clear this code. Which is really odd.
The only thing that really puzzles me (being an employed programmer) is the time in which it came up on my ECU. I've been chipped with APR for over a year. I have run a Forge DV for a year, TT DV for several months, and I'm trying a GReddy again for the second time. It was when I was adjusting the spring tension screw on the GReddy (too tight and caused flutter) that the 17608 DTC came up with the 16985. It looks as if their may be a bug in the software somewhere that when the DV has problems on an AWP ECU that it may trigger this DTC too. Or it may have something to do with APR, AWP and a DV issue that causes it to come up. Bottom line is it strikes me as really odd that an ECU would all of a sudden fail in this manner. AND still have the car fully functional.
Too many coincidences to me is all, so I want to look into a possible solution or cause to be avoided in the future before I shell out money for a new ECU.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote, originally posted by judoGTI »

Are you able to clear it? Or is it permanently embedded onto your ECU?

I can clear it, but it comes back all the time. I got the 3 program model(100, 91, stock). I always thought the code was from the chip holding more programs than the VW code was looking for. Never had any problems from this DTC. I think the dealer noticed it when I went to get my coilpacks changed. They told me they would order me a new ECU, but I didnt ask why

EDIT: running a stock DV, dont know why that should matter

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

I have a long story behind mine.
I got chipped in late September 2001. Everything was fine, never had a problem.
Fast forward 1 year (September 2002) and I'm getting this very strange problems. My ECU is randomly switching from 93 octane mode to stock, it was very strange. I hooked my car up to a VAG and got...
16988 Internal Contr.Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error

So I brought the car back to the tune shop that installed my APR chip. They contacted APR and replaced my chip. The car ran fine, with an occasional misfire.
Fast forward April 2003 I get a CEL again. I hook my car up to a VAG, notice this 16985 error and a random misfire code. I emailed APR, they said it was most likely a bad ECU. My car ran fine other than this code. I clear it and it immediately comes back.
I purchase a used HS box from someone on the vortex and decide that I'm just going to get the new box chipped and call the old box a loss. I don't want to go though my dealership, since up to now they have been really nice and I'm not sure how they would react if they knew I was chipped.
I've been running my car up till now with the old ECU, with a CEL for almost 3 months. I bring my car back to the tune shop to have the ECU replaced and APR chip transferred.
The tech at the shop is familiar with my problems, he said he's seen this happen about 3 times before. He hooks up the new stock ECU to my car and there are no codes, so he give both ECU's to the person who modifies them.
They remove the APR chip from the problem ECU, can't seem to get it in the NEW ECU so they burn a BRAND NEW APR chip. Put the new ECU with the NEW chip in my car and the 16985 code returns. Put the problem ECU (now with the stock chip) back in my car and 16985 DTC appears.
The tech doesn't know what to do, so they decide that they will send my ECU to APR to see if they can figure out what's wrong.
So, here are some facts...
> Chip replaced in Summer 2002, car ran fine for 1 year
> April 2003 16985 appears
> June 2003 buy used HS box
> June 2003 NEW HS box hooked up to car NO CODES
> June 2003 NEW HS box chipped with APR chip
> June 2003 NEW HS box with new chip returns 16985 DTC
> BOTH ECU's RETURN 16985
I'm waiting to hear back from APR, I really hope this gets resolved. Could I have gotten 2 bad ECU's, I think it's possible, however they TECH told me that when he hooked the NEW ECU up to my car it didn't return the 16985 DTC and as soon as it was chipped it did.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

Oh and I've been running a Forge 007 since 1500 miles, my car now has 26,000 miles. The only mods I have besides being chipped are Forger 007, TT downpipe and Milltek cat-back.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts

I wonder if this is all a result of some crafty programmer at Bosch deciding he didnt like people chipping his ECUs.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (SlvrBllt)

This is what I heard from Jeremy @ APR, and my letter to him below that:
Quote »
Brian, This error that you received is related to the actual ECU itself, not
the chip or programming. It relates to a faulty unit rather than a faulty
chip. It is likely that the ECU will need to be replaced. You are welcome
to send the ECU to us for a check-up but it is doubtful that we will be able
to fix the issue. Of course it is impossible to know until we see the ECU.
I hope this info helps. Please let me know if I may be of any further
assistance. Thanks.

Quote »
Hello APR -
I've spent a good part of my weekend trying to clear this code from my 2002
VW GTI 1.8T
16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error
35-00 - -
I received it at the same time I received this DTC below. I was tuning my
GReddy Type-S BOV (running it in recirculation mode, back into the intake)
but had it too tight and it produced a little flutter and gave me the DTC
below.
17608 - Turbocharger Bypass Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction
35-10 - - - Intermittent
I loosened the spring adjuster on the BOV/DV and cleared the error, but the
first error would not go away. I have read a bit on VWVortex and it seems
this is a semi-common error on APR chips. However it seems a remedy is
still undetermined.
To let you know what I did to try and clear the code is: First with my
VAG-COM I cleared the codes. DTC 17608 cleared successfully, 16985 did not.
I then bought a battery charger and charged the battery thinking low
voltage may have triggered this DTC. The battery displayed being fully
charged but I left it on slow trickle (2 amps for 8 hrs). I then
disconnected both the positive and negative terminals from the battery and
touched them together (hoping to reset all modules that could not be reset
with VAG-COM). Reconnected terminals, used VAG-COM again to clear the code.
Then I started my car. I let it idle until warm took a small test drive
and reconnected my VAG-COM. The code remained.
Do you have another other suggestions or have you found a solution to this
issue? I very highly doubt the ECU is bad, and I do not get a CEL or a MIL
on the dash (the first time I did however). And the car appears to be
functioning normally, but it is still a significant concern for me to have
the DTC on my ECU.
I would like to send you my ECU, but this is my daily driver so I cannot do
that for another month or so until my vacation from work where I won't need
it everyday. I have also read that many on Vortex have done so and the ECU
checks out fine, so I do not think sending it would prove fruitful. Short
of buying a new ECU I would like to resolve this issue. Please let me know
if I can be of ANY assistance, because my stakes are now vested as well.
Here is some back ground information for you, if it helps. The car was
purchased in Dec. 2001, chipped with APR 91 octane in March or April of 2002
(I believe version 1.1?) No problems that couldn't be cleared either with
VAG-COM or part replacement since.
Thanks, I look forward to hearing your response.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts

After doing some searching around and logging, looks like this problem (16985) is a little more common that I thought. Here is a list of vortex users that have experienced this problem...
edison29 2002 AWP APR Chipped
halchka99 2002 AWP APR Chipped
Papasuki 2002 AWP APR Chipped
sjoback 2002 AWP APR Chipped
judoGTI 2002 AWP APR Chipped
got_boost 2002 AWP APR Chipped
douknownam 2002 AWP APR Chipped
PH3ON1X 2002 AWP APR Chipped
Pannikattk 2002 AWP APR Chipped
Nefarious1.8t 2002 AWP APR Chipped
SmokinDub 2002 AWP APR Chipped
medium cool 2002 AWP APR Chipped
References:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=904306
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=754204

Modified by papasuki at 4:39 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
473 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (papasuki)

now, are all of us with this problem ones who have multiple program slots? just curious.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (sjoback)

Quote, originally posted by sjoback »
now, are all of us with this problem ones who have multiple program slots? just curious.

I have two; stock and 91 octane.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Re: Have you received DTC: 16985 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error (sjoback)

Quote, originally posted by sjoback »

From what I remember, most were. I have 93 oct and stock.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

More info please.

1 - 20 of 637 Posts