VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just basically am curious if people are having these issues and are calling them normal or aren't bothering with them or even what you think of them.
This weekend I was warming my car up infront of my house and when i returned approx 5 minutes later the car was locked down. Annoyed I went into the house and retrieved my second key which the remote didn't work I suppose thats obviously because the car was running. So I then use the key part to unlock the door and all seems well. That is until i get to my destination and then the car beeps twice instead of the normal once to lock. Upon planning to leave the destination my wife is inside the car, car is running and i am loading some things into the hatch when once again the car locks itself.

My second question of a possible issue is that no matter what my rear defroster will not shut off. Even if it gets the window clear it stays on. This also happens when if for some reason i forget to shut it off before shutting my car off and restart the car the defroster stays on. I think it should shut off am I wrong?
And finally when I have the heat on the floor setting I get a fair amount of heat coming out of the dash vents while on my previous passat I did not again is this something that should be happenening or not

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (NJInkBlue)

I thought I would have at least one of the problems but not one. I've never warmed my car up for that long either and not sure if theres a timer on that, which I doubt. Read over the manual if you havent but looks like your going to have to pay the dealer a visit. Someone else might be able to help you out on here more though. Good Luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
4,352 Posts

For the rear defroster... Dont the 2003s just have the push on push off non-timed switch? I thought I read that people were pissed that VW quit using the push on timer switch like we have in the 337 and replaced it with a non timed on-off switch.
That may be the issue. If you turn it on and expect it to shut itself off it wont do it.
The locking thing is strange. It could be that your comfort module is bad. I dont think the car is ever supposed to lock itself with the key in the ignition and the engine running. That said I am always afraid mine will do that since I regularly warm the car up...

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (dubster3126)

Quote, originally posted by dubster3126 »
left mine on 20min this morning to warm up and had no problem.

You will if you keep letting it warm up for that long ice cold.

· Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (GTIdaho)

thats good to know about the lack of a timer switch...I guess my one concern was that the timer was bad....obviously if it doesn't have one then it should only shut off if I shut if off....good to know...as for the locking thing I am rather confused myself....the remotes seeem to work fine although sometimes the car since this has started beeps twice anyhow thanks for the information

· Registered
14,449 Posts

The heat coming out the side vents is normal. You can simply close them and it will stop. As for the lock situation, I don't know. i'd call the dealer. Maybe one of your fobs is malfunctioning. That could be a problem in the future!

· Registered
4,925 Posts

Wow what you dont know will surprise you. Cool face though

But first off keeping your car Idle is a) bad for fuel efficiency and b) bad for the environment.
Unless its ice cold out (I.e. Alaska) you should just start it and drive. Let the car warm up as you drive. Guess thats why the M3 has a rpm that adjusts as your car warms up huh
. Your car warms up by driving it faster than letting it sit (under idle when cold). Warming it up is just to heat the inside, 20 mins is a huge amount of time without any question. Start your car, buckle up, turn the heat, and drive. Thats should be enough of a warm up. Try reading your manual it says it clearly in there.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Or maybe its just me.
Edit- Sorry for crashing your thread also. Hope you find your answers.

Modified by Cluemanti at 8:22 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
5,843 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (Cluemanti)

Agreed, I usually wait until the idle drops to the normal range then drive off. Usually only takes a few seconds for it to get that range so use that as a measurement tool: once it hits the normal idle then drive off.

· Registered
4,925 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (Anniversary1428)

Quote, originally posted by Anniversary1428 »
so then is it bad to let it idle so the turbo can cool?

No your turbo is very hot at that point (i.e. letting it cool). Only letting it idle cold is bad.

· Registered
5,794 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (Cluemanti)

well now i know, and knowing is half the battle
however, aside from the fuel spent while idling and that by using an internal cumbustion engine we are already giving mother nature the finger, i don't understand from your explaination why letting my car idle will give me problems with how it runs and operates, so please elaborate
and thank you, i like your face too

Modified by dubster3126 at 3:59 AM 1-13-2004

· Registered
1,121 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (GTIdaho)

Quote, originally posted by GTIdaho »
The locking thing is strange. It could be that your comfort module is bad. I dont think the car is ever supposed to lock itself with the key in the ignition and the engine running. That said I am always afraid mine will do that since I regularly warm the car up...

I have to agree. The car SHOULD NOT do that. Take it to the dealer for repairs.

· Registered
1,048 Posts

well now i know, and knowing is half the battle
however, aside from the fuel spent while idling and that by using an internal cumbustion engine we are already giving mother nature the finger, i don't understand from your explaination why letting my car idle will give me problems with how it runs and operates, so please elaborate
and thank you, i like your face too

Modified by dubster3126 at 3:59 AM 1-13-2004

I tend to agree although I do think that 20 min is a little excessive. You should not let your car idle for a long periods of time over and over (i.e cop car) but letting it warm up to get some heat before you drive is no big deal imo

· Registered
2,757 Posts
Whether its excessive or not is somewhat besides the point. Warm up your car for as long as you like. If someone will keep their car running to cool the turbo down then someone is very much entitled to warm their butts!
Anyone have any suggestions? I think you may have a problem with your locking system. It should not lock simply because the car is running. Can you imagine if you're working on your car and this happens?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote, originally posted by supra1641 »

I tend to agree although I do think that 20 min is a little excessive. You should not let your car idle for a long periods of time over and over (i.e cop car) but letting it warm up to get some heat before you drive is no big deal imo

· Registered
1,250 Posts

My 337 doesn't have these problems. On occasion I warm it for about 5 min. no problem with it locking on me. As for the defroster, its timed. Push once and forget it.
Very nice.

· Registered
596 Posts
Re: having a few issues with my car...want comments kinda long (liquid stereo)

My salesman told me that driving the car hard right after starting can trigger a check engine light and to wait for the rpms to drop. Is it possible that the engine will run very rich on a cold start and then lean out? Hmmm, as for the doors auto locking.. I constantly worry about that and usually leave my window down 3 inches, just in case. Perhaps the auto lock has a second trigger besides the 10 mph speed trigger... maybe a timed override?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.