VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple months ago my rear suspension started to pop every once and a while over bumps. It has since prgressed into popping over every single miniscule dip and bump. I have tried fixing it by replacing the sway bar bushings, but no luck.

My current rear suspension set up as of right now:

ST Coils with adjustment perches removed

Madmax lower and upper CA's

Poly sway bushings

It began popping before installing the control arms, and removing the perches. Could it be sway bar end links? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
I see two highly probable possibilities:

1) End links that are shot

2) Springs that are too short and become unloaded during the range of travel. The solution for this would be to add the perches back, or add zero rate helper springs to take up the slack, or run slightly taller springs (some of these solutions may not seem appealing because they will slightly raise the static ride height).

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
when I was having banging in the rear, I had bad sway bar bushing...just rotted out.

and another time it was because my spring was broken...

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see two highly probable possibilities:

1) End links that are shot

2) Springs that are too short and become unloaded during the range of travel. The solution for this would be to add the perches back, or add zero rate helper springs to take up the slack, or run slightly taller springs (some of these solutions may not seem appealing because they will slightly raise the static ride height).
Ok. I think I will go ahead and try new sway bar end links. Thanks!

when I was having banging in the rear, I had bad sway bar bushing...just rotted out.

and another time it was because my spring was broken...
Haha yea I checked the springs and they were all good. New bushings didnt help me unfortunately.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
What year car are we talking about? This could also be bad (more than likely) lower rose joints due to seizure. Mine had a similar issue with popping and creaking prior to one of the rear control arm forks entirely breaking due to the lack of movement in the joints.

It's an easy check...it's in the mk1 TT wiki.

http://wiki.quattroworld.com/index.php/TT.Mk1_Checking_Rear_Control_Arm_Rose_Joint

Additionally...post 02 cars would have the rubber bushing in this position vs. rose joint due to the Audi recall on this item.

Worth a check as if they are in there....and if they are causing the problem....ey will be stressing the MADMAX arms as well. I'm sure they'll be fine....but if you want to avoid a catastrophic failure later on....check.

Joe

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Good call Joe! A 2001 will have the original rose joint design, and those are prone to seizing and failure if they are not properly maintained/serviced.

The rose joint is the hub-side articulation that the control arm bolts into. Removing the outer ends of the control arms will allow you to check for free articulation (about 40 degrees in all directions). :beer:

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
yep...don't let this happen to you. I learned the hard way the first winter I had the car :(

I provided the link for the check (which had a video too if I remember) in my previous post...

Did replace with all factory rose joints though...not the rubber piece. Only my lowers were bad which makes sense given the exposure to the elements, etc.

Joe

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes it's time for me in Cali to check mine. I'll have to ask what's involved in replacing them w/o going rubber. last thing i want is more movement back there.

I too now have the clunky suspension. it's literally over small slow speed ripples........sounds like what's you'd think if you had a loose shock or loose trunk latch. just a "clunka....clunka, clunka"

I'm hoping it's just the end links as 10 years w/ a 22mm bar back there and 108k has to do some wear. i just don't want to spend almost $200 on end links and have it not be the noise.!!:banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts