VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hawaii Governor Kills Traffic Cameras

Thursday, April 11, 2002

HONOLULU — Hawaii Gov. Benjamin Cayetano has ordered the shutdown of the state's controversial traffic camera program even though it could cost taxpayers up to $8 million for the state's failure to meet its contract.

The governor ordered the shutdown Wednesday in anticipation of a repeal by the state legislature. The three-year pilot program that began in January had earned a lot of opposition as well as several court challenges.
Cayetano said he intends to allow the repeal of the van cam law to occur without his signature, adding that it was a creation of legislators, and up to them to cancel it if they want.
State Transportation Director Brian Minaai said the company that operated the program has given a preliminary estimate of $5 million to $8 million for the early termination of its contract, but that may be negotiable.
Senate Transportation Committee Chairman Cal Kawamoto, who had defended the program, said he would prefer the courts shut down the program because that would avoid legal problems over the state breaking its contract with the company.
Minaai said he didn't know if the company, ACS, would have a claim if the courts ruled the program unconstitutional.
Cayetano didn't actually want to eliminate the pilot program because he said it promotes safety and cuts down on speeding, which has become habitual for many drivers.
That may explain why so many people opposed the program, he said.
The state House voted Wednesday to support the Senate repeal of the program that also was being challenged in court.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Re: Hawaiian Governor Feels Our Pain (amarshall)

yay.
Benjamin Cayetano for president! (or at least pa Gov.)

oh wait, no cameras in PA, except the strupid trailers with "your speed" on them

·
Registered
11,567 Posts
Re: Hawaiian Governor Feels Our Pain (David Votoupal)

a 2 year old would be a better resident than bush.
i would run, but im not elligible (not born in US)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Re: Hawaiian Governor Feels Our Pain (Overboost)

Our Governer finally did something right! Most of the time he's a retard. Now they just have to get rid of our stupid vehicle reconstruction law.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Re: Hawaiian Governor Feels Our Pain (mad8vskillz)

quote:[HR][/HR]yay.
Benjamin Cayetano for president! (or at least pa Gov.)

oh wait, no cameras in PA, except the strupid trailers with "your speed" on them[HR][/HR]​
I love those trailers!
When I find one, it makes my day as I turn around as see how high I can get it up to
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Hawaiian Governor Feels Our Pain (Natty)

quote:[HR][/HR]When I find one, it makes my day as I turn around as see how high I can get it up to
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
My record is 92 in a 30. I thought the trailer was going to explode. Everytime I see one of those, I stop, turn around and make a speed pass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts