VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have these noisy pads or is it just mine every other day they sound like nails on a chalk board,both rotors and pads are pretty new.i ordered some ebc pads today but it pisses me off to waste a new set of pads they are on wilwood calipers.do hawks just suck or what.
also someone told me rotors need to be diamond cut even new ones to avoid this annoying problem ?

[Modified by NORTAVE2.0, 12:31 AM 4-7-2002]

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (NORTAVE2.0)

Did you put the pads on yourself? Did the installer put anti-sqeak on the back of the pads?

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (blkaudicq)

if they're HPplus's it's a notorious thing. they grip like hell but make noise when going slow. no the rotors don't need cutting. try them again when the new ones are used up. they're better once the rotors are broken in.

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (M this 1!)

at low speed light braking is when they are loud as hell,and yes i tried the brake quiet no help.i will never try these pads again if the ebc pads are quiet these are going in the garbage

·
Registered
459 Posts

They are really nice pads. Double check the backing goop. It can burn off.
A lot of noise has to do with braking style. Don't use a light touch, use them hard. I haven't had good luck with EBC.

·
Registered
7,587 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (bugged)

i tried the mintex pads that were for track duty too and my friend tried one of the EBC's and both of these sucked ass, we went back to the super grippy HPplus's. but yes when you're hard on them, they're silent. i learned not to ride them at all

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (M this 1!)

i try to stop harder to avoid the acoustics.but in chgo. someone is going to drive up my a$$ no one looks at the the road,they need time to figure out where the brake is

·
Registered
868 Posts

Hello,
They are just loud pads. You may want to look at alternatives if the noise is irritating to you. However, the material won't let you down under harsh braking conditions when driving on the street.
- Darren

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (voiddweller)

irritating to me and everyone in a mile radius when i stop people cover their ears

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

A lot of the reason they are loud is the fact that they are stree/race pads, and require warming up to proper operating temperature. when you're just driving around the city, brakes don't get quite as hot as when you're on a race track.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (corrado2z2)

Yes they squeal like pigs... But after a week-end at the racetrack, I don't give a hoot !
I also changed the fluid to Motul 600, and I only experienced moderate fade, even if the brakes were smoking. They really brake hard and are worth the squeal, IMHO.

[Modified by newbiewithGTI2002, 3:53 PM 4-15-2002]

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (newbiewithGTI2002)

update after 2 months of screeching hell with the hawks i switched to the ebc and they havent made a peep in the last week i actually enjoy driving again http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gifmy conclusion hawks suck azz

·
Banned
3,850 Posts

ive had hp-plus and hp-s and they both make hella noise,it doesnt bug me though,because i love the performace of the pads...
HAWK PADS RULE!!!!

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (seako_916)

for the last month i used the hand brake to stop because the fronts were so loud
,there is no performance in the world that is worth that much noise on a street car.if you only knew how loud these were you would delete that post

·
Registered
902 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (seako_916)

Tell us how you like the EBCs... I too have Hawks and they drive me nuts. But I haven't found a pad yet that stops better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (drader)

I just put stock rotors and pagid pads on our 99 passat wagon. They feel really strong and I have not had any noise issues in the last 3 weeks. I bought all the gear from german auto parts online.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: hawk pads driving me nuts (PeasantMobile2)

Pagids are awsome. The blues are the best pad I have ever used for the street. They brake so hard that my SO complains that they work too well.
I'll take your hawk pads if they fit MKIV's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts