VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I've looked online and can't seem to find a solution. My hazards dont work (push button, nothing happens) and when I lock my car the lights and horn don't sound, which I'm presuming is related. I've replaced the hazard switch, turn signal stalks, checked fuses, and bulbs, but alas nothing. The only thing I can think of that is causing this is some type of electrical wiring issue. Anyone have a clue? Mk4 gti 1.8t awp

· Registered
4 Posts
I have had almost identical issue with my 20th aniv gti. took it to my mechanic because I couldn't trace it down. He said it's an electrical short in the headlights that causes this issue. Not sure if that's accurate. But the only way to know for sure would be to swap out the headlights and see if that fixes it. Maybe if you have some electrical wiring experience you could test all the wires and see what's bad with a voltage meter, but I don't know how to read those accurately. Point being, check your headlights. Even if they are working.

· Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2000 Beetle GLS 2.slower, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
1,253 Posts
What model year?

Do you have the OnStar telematics?

Do the turn stalks work?

Check/replace fuse 39 and fuse 2.

Check for power at the 75x threaded connection on the relay panel. This is from the load reduction relay.

The turn stalks are powered by the hazard switch, and the hazard switch is powered by fuse 2 (from load reduction relay) and 39 (constant power).

· Registered
4 Posts
2003 mk4 20th aniv gti.1.8T

No

I lift the turn stalk and nothing happens. I push the hazard button and nothing happens.

I checked the fuses. replaced them. hit the turn stalk and the fuse blows again.

75x threaded connection on the relay panel? you lost me here.

· Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2000 Beetle GLS 2.slower, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
1,253 Posts
2003 mk4 20th aniv gti.1.8T

No

I lift the turn stalk and nothing happens. I push the hazard button and nothing happens.

I checked the fuses. replaced them. hit the turn stalk and the fuse blows again.

75x threaded connection on the relay panel? you lost me here.
lol im confused, are you replying for hazardous412?

· Registered
2004 VW Jetta
5 Posts
I don't have much to say but I've been having both of these problems lately. Difference is that these issues were not connected, the unlock honk and central locking went out months before my signal issues. I've been looking at these seperately.

The day my hazard/turn signal issues happened, I replaced my hazard button and the signal staulk started working again but when I would hit my hazards I would need to both hit the button and indicate left.

The unlock issue I never really investigated, until I noticed that its a common issue with the Front Door Latch Assembly going bad. Based on what I can see you just need to replace the assembly and those issues are fixed.

With other people replying saying to test replacing the headlights, I would probably start there and if that doesn't work replace the assembly. Its hard to throw parts at a problem but that might have to be it in this case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts