VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the frequent stations I listen to, WXRT 93.1 here in Chicago, switched over from the standard "HD Radio" icon to one that I haven't seen yet "HD Radio Live" icon.

Not sure what this means but it may be related to how some live HD radio can be paused, on other HD radios. Just a guess. Not sure if this has showed up on other HD radio stations but this is the first time I've seen this new icon and thought I would share some pictures.

And a close up...

·
Registered
43 Posts
There is one, maybe two, stations that show up in OKC with the HDRadioLive icon. I can't really tell any difference in sound quality (standard vs HD) nor does it appear to do anything unusual. I've googled a few times and never came up with anything pertaining to what the 'live' portion was. Maybe something the tuner/protocol supports but was never really put into production/use? After all, there was really no commercial or financial benefit for radio stations to upgrade to HD :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah, I haven't seen that before...Do you have stock rns-510, because your channel buttons look different. Or did you VAG-COM it, and change theme?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well, "Live" is certainly not part of HD Radio's logo or trademarks. But their usage guidelines allow word association as long as the font is different, so it must be a licensee addition.

Yours
Vern

·
Registered
795 Posts
I turned the HD tuner off in the setup menu since one of the threads indicated that it would help speed up the ever impressive RNS510. Besides, no HD radio station here anyways. Didn't notice any difference, but with the HD radio off, it gave me an error in my scan:

Address 56: Radio (J0506) Labels: 1T0-035-680.clb
Part No SW: 3C8 035 684 E HW: 3C8 035 684 E
Component: RNS-MID H61 3690
Revision: AB001001 Serial number: VWZ6Z7M6062067
Coding: 04090002010000A60000
Shop #: WSC 09003 957 00200
ASAM Dataset: ------------------------- ------
VCID: 2D7FD25F7480C870BA3

1 Fault Found:
02635 - Tuner Not Enabled/Activated
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 7
Fault Frequency: 129
Reset counter: 126
Mileage: 11112 km
Time Indication: 0

·
Registered
777 Posts
That error also shows up when you don't subscribe to Sirius (which is kind of annoying and will come back if you clear it).

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As an update this week, the "live" portion went away and now WXRT 93.1 HD is back to the standard "HD Radio" logo. I'm guessing the station's engineers were messing around with something this week. :confused:

Now CBS radio needs to get on the ball and start providing album art, known as the "Artist Experience", on all of their channels like Clear Channel has started to do.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There are several Live programs I listen to in the DC area on HD Radio, none of them have that logo :what:

-J

1 - 9 of 9 Posts