VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Unless you have oil mixing with coolant, or an oil leak at the seam of the head to the block, leave it be.
Yes it only takes a few hours to do, but the first time you will probably snap the manifold studs, and will have to take it to a machine shop to have them removed and possibly helicoiled. If you want to do it, then you will need new Studs, or an ARP Racing StudKIT to replace the head bolts. A good Head Gasket Kit, might was well do the water pump as well at this time, a Continental Timing Belt as well as a Tensioner. Then I would say a 2 new Water outlets and a new t-stat cover.

Prior to removal soak the Exhaust manifold bolts for a few days with a 50/50 mix of Acetone/ATF fluid mix in a jar, shake well then place in a commercial spray bottle.

Prep s everything. Read my thread on I hate Plastic Parts....

·
Registered
22,103 Posts
Nope. Let it rest peacefully where it is.

Yes. When I did my head I removed the head with the exhaust and intake manifolds still attached. I then took all three components to my machinist who disassembled, inspected and cleaned them. Turned out that my exhaust manifold was cracked - took 2+ weeks to source another from a junkyard Cabby. FYI if you're still running your original exhaust manifold then, after 30+ years, it is probably cracked too.
Every 90 cabbie I owned the manifold was cracked when I bought it. Funny my 89 1 owner toilet bowl exhaust wasn't cracked.
Another good thing about doing a headgasket on your timeline, is that if/when it goes bad, it's rarely a good time.
Truer words never spoken.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts