VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gotten my head machined and have a new gasket set but I think that some dust and stuff has gotten onto the top of the block. should I just take a shop vac today to it. Or what???
Please help I need anything you can give me
thanks
T.J.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: head gasket job, cleaning the block off (GLI_16vee)

Get an air chuck and blow it out. If you don't have a compressor get a few cans of the compressed air that you use to clean the keyboard on your computer. It will be far more effective then a shop vac.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: head gasket job, cleaning the block off (brandon002)

thanks for the help. good idea with the compressed air cans. bad idea to lick it.
thanks
t.j.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts

Quote, originally posted by brandon002 »
Get an air chuck and blow it out. If you don't have a compressor get a few cans of the compressed air that you use to clean the keyboard on your computer. It will be far more effective then a shop vac.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Save your self a couple of bucks tho, and take it to any shop that does repair work and ask em to use thier lines. Why waste your money when you can use their air

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: head gasket job, cleaning the block off (GLIJetta90)

Quote, originally posted by GLIJetta90 »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Save your self a couple of bucks tho, and take it to any shop that does repair work and ask em to use thier lines. Why waste your money when you can use their air

Because he's talking about the block, which is probably still in the car. I think it would cost more to haul the car to a shop then it would for a few cans of compressed air.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

I agree air is best as you want to make sure there is nothing at the rings. top of the block of gasket stuck to much, well I used a razor blade. it's a iron block so should not be a problem. you likly know but don't reuse your head bolts unless you have arp bolts. as they are made to streach. follow bentley on torque, when putting back on.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Re: head gasket job, cleaning the block off (hybrid gti 2)

Quote, originally posted by hybrid gti 2 »
I agree air is best as you want to make sure there is nothing at the rings. top of the block of gasket stuck to much, well I used a razor blade. it's a iron block so should not be a problem. you likly know but don't reuse your head bolts unless you have arp bolts. as they are made to streach. follow bentley on torque, when putting back on.

Actually all head bolts are made to stretch. It's the fact that they stretch that causes replacement everytime the head is removed. The stretching of the bolts makes them weaker upon removal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts