VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done numerous searches and cannot find anthing that can tell me the answers I need.
So I took my car to a local mechanic to have it "quickly" checked as to why i'm blowing white smoke when I start the car after its been sitting, and he told me it is my head gasket & possibly vavle seals. My car a 92 golf has only 87,000 miles on it, is it normal for this car to get a blown head gasket??
My questions are,
does this sound right about having a blown head gasket?
is there a way to check the head without taking the engine apart?
Someone mentioned pushing air through the spark plug opening and seeing if the coolant "bubbles"? does this sound right?
I plan on doing this myself if it is my head gasket because I am strapped for cash & have a bently. What is the likely hood that the head might be cracked or warped? Is there a way I can tell when I take it off rather than taking it to a mechanic???
Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
18,956 Posts
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (SasyJettaGirl)

White smoke=coolant so his assumption would be correct. Not really a way to check the head without the head off the car. A blown head gasket can happen anytime. Usually caused by overheating. You could put a compression gauge onto the spark plug hole and blow compressed air into it. Really won't tell you too much but could confirm the blown gasket. The chances of the head being warped or cracked is about 50/50. Once the head is off you should have it resurfaced either way. It's not very often that 8v heads crack but it is very possible. Alot of times cracks are not visable and you need to get it pressure tested. Hope I answered it all.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (knappy)

So I took it to a friend of mine who is a mechanic I trust, this morning he ran a compression test and has had my car all day looking at it, the good news is he doesn't suspect it being a head gasket problem which is good because I couldn't figure why it would be with only 87,000 miles on it and not really being driven and no oil leaks and no oil in the radiator fluid or mayonaise looking stuff. My exhaust is completely dry.
So, hopefully later he will have a better idea as to whats wrong with it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

like Knappy says, white smoke from the tailpipe means a blown headgasket. Nothing else makes that symptom. Just because the coolant isn't contaminated doesn't mean anything, as well as not seeing bubbles in the overflow tank.
The white smoke means coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and it's being burned. The bad news is if it goes long enough, it will eat holes into the tops of the pistons. Pull a spark plug and I bet it will have a white crystalized crud all over it.
87,000 miles means nothing when the car is 14 years old. Something as simple as using the wrong coolant will eat away at the headgasket.
best of luck with it.

Modified by wjbski at 10:35 PM 7-9-2006

·
Registered
7,748 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SasyJettaGirl »
So I took my car to a local mechanic to have it "quickly" checked as to why i'm blowing white smoke when I start the car after its been sitting,

How long does it last and how much smoke are you seeing? First thing that comes to mind is bad valve stem seals as that is a common syptom. Other thing is that if it doesn't last long, it could just be condensation in the exhaust system evaporating.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (JethroWV)

If it only happens on start up, then it 's most likely valve guides. Either way the head has to come off.

·
Banned
16,878 Posts
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (A2notMKII)

Quote, originally posted by A2notMKII »
If it only happens on start up, then it 's most likely valve guides. Either way the head has to come off.

Not for valve guide seals.

Modified by djsheijkdfj at 7:57 PM 7-9-2006

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (djsheijkdfj)

Thanks to all who replied I got my car back last night from my friend/mechanic, and he said it is definitely not the head gasket, that the gasket was fine w/the compression test and he is willing to bet 99% it isn't that. He said he got to see the smoke and its a "grey" smoke which does mean oil but he says my gasket isn't blown. He says if anything he knows I need new seals...which are only $8 a piece on GAP.com and I need 8 so...I will be getting all the parts before next weekend and fixing it, also I have a crack in my timing belt...oops! Gotta fix that soon!!!

Modified by SasyJettaGirl at 4:26 AM 7-10-2006

·
Banned
675 Posts
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (djsheijkdfj)

Quote, originally posted by djsheijkdfj »

Not for valve guide seals.
Modified by djsheijkdfj at 7:57 PM 7-9-2006
How are you gonna hold the valve while removing the keepers? You have to have the head off to replace the seals. If you try to replace the seals with the valves in the head, you risk tearing them.

·
Banned
18,956 Posts

How are you gonna hold the valve while removing the keepers? You have to have the head off to replace the seals. If you try to replace the seals with the valves in the head, you risk tearing them.

Compressed air.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Re: (Mortal_Wombat)

Quote, originally posted by Mortal_Wombat »
or a rope.

Yep, that works too. I used rubber vacuum line when I did my valve springs.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts

I did mine 2 weeks ago with the head on the engine. It took all of 2 hours to do the whole job. It has completely stopped the oil consumption issue I was having.
I used the leak down test equipment and a VW valve spring compressing tool. It worked so well that I'm going to buy the tools for myself.( I borrowed them from my local VW garage)
sassyjettagirl- glad to hear that the smoke was grey and not white, it's an easy fix!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Head Gasket Questions...? (wjbski)

Does the Cam Shaft Oil Seal need to be replaced when replacing the Valve Stem oil seals???
I just wanted to know while I'm ordering parts off GAP.com
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SasyJettaGirl »
Does the Cam Shaft Oil Seal need to be replaced when replacing the Valve Stem oil seals???
I just wanted to know while I'm ordering parts off GAP.com
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I would suggest it.....It's gonna be apart anyway so why not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts