VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am soon planning a head rebuild for my car. I am going the buy another one so I can still drive my car route...
My plan was to go out to buy one from pick your part, bring it to the machine shop and they would be able to tell if its garbage or not, if garbage just bring it back and find another one. ( I can get my money back within 90 days and they are only 30$) Thus saving me a lot of money. So, i go and get it done at the machine shop and then drop it in. NOW my questions
when I get it rebuilt, I can buy [parts from my local parts shop concept 1. what do you guys suggest i get as fasr as valve springs, cam gear, camshaft etc. to make this head the best it can be...for an 8v that is.... and what other things to i need when i slap it on to my engine. head gasket, do i need to replace the head bolts...etc? When I do this i'm gonna do a massive tune up aswell regarind cap and rotor spark plugs and wires, clean the k&n and such, anyways i would liek your info and storeis, sorry for the long story.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: head head head (8vpocketrocket)

get some tt sport springs, 268 tt sport cam, get it port and polished. Not sure what else.
Maybe the valve guides, valves, seals etc

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: head head head (8vpocketrocket)

Porting is they only way tomake any 8V vw head produce power, no amount of other parts thrown at it will produce. Have it done then the rest.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: head head head (A1Rocco)

How much does a porting job cost? forgive my ignorance on this, but if its ported, do custom vavles have to be gotten, or is that part not touched?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: head head head (HiJinx)

Depends who does the porting and what exactly you want done to the head and what size intake you will be using. The stock valves are uausually retained unless they are damaged. I charge $350 CDN yto do a stage 1 head, that uses stock intake and exhaust port diameter and comes with unshrouded combustion chambers, all machine work including regrinding the seats and valves and reassembly is extra.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: head head head (A1Rocco)

If you port your head you should at LEAST have a g-grind cam on there too. And since you're going for revs, HD valve springs are a good thing too.
I would consider that a basic performance 8v head--mild cam, hd springs, mild home p&p. You can buy a $30 porting kit by Standard Abrasives through Summit Racing. It had a nice poster 'How To' on porting and polishing your head.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: head head head (aventari)

Oh i just saw you have an A2 Golf..hydro head.. The g-grind is only for solid heads, so get the hydro equivalent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts