VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anybody know if vw has made a permanent fix to the" pressed in steel ball" in the head problem. A friend of mine owns an engine shop and was doing "drill/tap/plug repairs to the new 3.2 heads. He has done about 80 pair so far. Vw is only doing them as they fail so I am sure there are still a lot of them still out there. Anyone else know any mre???? Jake

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Head problems with the new 3.2 (SilberArrow6)

Ok Here goes ....from what Tom (the engine guy) said..when VW mfg the heads they drill passages to aid in the machining process. When the machining process is complete Vw has been pressing a steel ball into the hole to "permanently" plug it. When this ball falls out there is a sudden drop in oil pressure. Other mfg drill and tap the hole and install a pipe plug. (ever see the front of a SB chevy around the camshaft. there are three plugs there. same deal. What concerns me is that VW is only fixing these as they fail not on a recall so if your's fails after the warranty guess who buys it. I'm days away from delivery of my R32 and I want to know if the problem has been addressed at the factory or if ther are still some "loose balls" floating around. My friend with the shop was drilling/taping the passages but vw thought that cost too much so now he just welds the holes shut.The dealer would bring him the heads and pick them up but he said they appeared to be off pretty new stuff. he's done about 80 pair so far. I'll give him a call tororrow and get some more info as to exact location etc,etc......Jake

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: Head problems with the new 3.2 (jakesterone)

How can it be cheaper to weld a hole shut than to drill and tap? How big are these holes anyway and are the 2.8l 24v heads affected? Sounds pretty wierd. What about the W motors, W8, W12, and eventually the W16? Are they all suspect?

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: Head problems with the new 3.2 (jakesterone)

Quote, originally posted by jakesterone »
he's done about 80 pair so far.

PAIR!!!???
The VR6 has ONE cylinder head.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Head problems with the new 3.2 (briang)

No Kidding....................like I said I'll call him and get back to the board.

Modified by jakesterone at 11:49 PM 1-22-2004

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Re: (pimpsh!t)

Quote, originally posted by pimpsh!t »
Are you refering to the oil galley plug?

I am sure he is.
Yes VW has been using steel balls that are pressed into the oil galley after the machining is done for the oil galleys. The aluminum around the ball is then peened in to keep it from backing out.
When rebuilding the heads the ball can be removed to gain access to the galley for cleaning and re-drilling as needed, we then install a threaded pipe plug afterward which is how many manufacturers prepare their heads from the start. I believe that VW should also be using threaded pipe plugs rather than balls that must be drilled and then pulled as they currently do, especially if they are now popping out as has been suggested.
If the ball was to back out, oil pressure will almost immediately be lost to the lifters and cams and this could be very catastrophic to the head. I plan to check mine frequently to see if it is moving or loose. I will post back if this is so.
-Rich

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Re: (eiprich)

Quote, originally posted by eiprich »

If the ball was to back out, oil pressure will almost immediately be lost to the lifters and cams and this could be very catastrophic to the head. I plan to check mine frequently to see if it is moving or loose. I will post back if this is so.
-Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts