VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just picked up my new mk3 gti vr6 and boy does it feel good to be back
, had fun with the mk4 1.8t but nothing like that vr6 growl.
The car will be needing to rebuild the head soon and drop in a new timing chain full set because its got some slack. Can anyone list what I need to rebuild a vr6 head? what parts exactly do I need to buy?
and here for the pics so that people click on my thread
u know its true hahaha
btw this is what im planning to do for the winter motor wise

· Registered
3,830 Posts
Re: (BlueDevilCabby)

Quote, originally posted by BlueDevilCabby »
Wow, good luck with that, looks like a TON of work.

You're gonna shave your engine bay with a turbo!
I remember the first time i saw that car at Waterfest... "Nice, clean bay........ OMG it has a turbo!!!"

Goodluck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
10,057 Posts
Re: (VB VR6)

What you do in a head rebuild (used to call that a valve job) depends on the mileage on the head...if you just let coolant leak out and warp head at say 50K miles, might just wanna lap the valves a little and replace valve stem seals and call it done. If the head's got 150K miles on it...then I'd for sure replce guides and at least the exhaust valves (heat lets exhaust valve "neck down" just behind the head and weakens them) and of course the valve springs and stem seals, along with a good valve grind and lap in. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (ToiletMint)

who sells these rebuilt heads ??? well the car has 180,000km on the motor. Its got a chip and I think cams but im not sure until we take apart the head. So far im thinking of buying these parts build it one and build it right.
-complete standard engine bearing kit
Main, Rod and Thrust
-VR6 complete timing chain kit
All Chains, tensioners and guides
-Autotech Heavy Duty Valve Spring Set
-Autotech Titanium Retainer Set
-New Hydraulic valve lifters
-Valve guide and seal kit
-ARP Head Bolts, Rod Bolts and Main Studs
-Low compresion Gasket
-Cams 268 if it doenst already have it.

Im dropping in clutch and flywheel combo to while im going this.
what u guys think?

· Registered
10,057 Posts
Re: (Agheorghe1)

If you're gonna install HD valve springs I would really suggest replacing the exhaust valves...the added spring pressure will put more pressure on the valve stems so any weakness there from past "heat necking" (on the valve stems... not in the back seat
) will risk stem faiure down the road..expensive propostion compared to cost of new exhaust valves!

· Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (spitpilot)

lol yeah i guess ur right its just such a *****, once u upgrade soemthing you gotta do that too and it just adds on, Can i use oem exhaust valves or do i gotta get aftermarket high performance ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.