VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time for the new headgasket. Gonna get the head rebuilt, so naturally I feel the need to install that 268/260 cam I've been sittin on. Am I gonna need new valve springs (as in heavier)? When you remove the head can you leave the intake or exhaust manifold on? Any tips you can give me? Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,891 Posts
Re: Head removal rebuild tips? (bjc)

I dont know about the camshaft, but the manifolds I would base it on this:
If you leave them on there is more weight and bulkiness to deal with, more things to unplug and more risk of something not going back in right.
If you take them off they would probably get in the way unless you tie them or something, it would be harder to find something to hold onto to thread a couple of bolts in and put a rope on it and lift with that. I used that technique on V8s and it has worked flawless.

· Registered
10,715 Posts
Re: Head removal rebuild tips? (JeremyGTI)

Quote, originally posted by JeremyGTI »
Good luck trying to get the manifolds off while the head's in the car. My head came out with them on, and it'll be going back in with them on.

All it requires are a good set of sockets and extensions, and a bit of luck that you won't break one of the exhaust mani studs. Which might still happen with the head out of the car.
I dunno, I've done it both ways and don't really have a preference. I'd probably take the mani's off if I did it again though.
As far as valve springs - you won't need new ones unless your old ones are out of spec. Stock springs can handle 260/268 cams fine. Definitely get new lifters though. For a minimum rebuild, I'd do lifters, valve stem seals, light lapping on the seats, and that's about it, unless something else looked wrong.
-Nate

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Head removal rebuild tips? (SaabFan)

Thanks guys...... one more quick question though........ whats the torque specs and pattern to reattach this bugger? maybe I should ask this in the g60 forum....

· Registered
7,463 Posts
Re: Head removal rebuild tips? (bjc)

Quote, originally posted by bjc »
Thanks guys...... one more quick question though........ whats the torque specs and pattern to reattach this bugger? maybe I should ask this in the g60 forum....

The G60 forum is a better place my friend, and don't you VR guys get all pissed now

· Registered
8,174 Posts
Re: Head removal rebuild tips? (1967ghia)

i left the manifolds on and undid the exhaust manifold at the down pipe but like nate said i can do it the other way, it doesn't really matter...
BUT! if you're gettign head work done get the valves CC'd! which means each valve flows at the same rate. port, intake manifold port match, polish 3 or 5 angle valve job and CC. is the best thigns you can do to a head... and one step further the best thing you can do to a head is CC'ing them. the biggest gains in horse power will come from head work. my father drag raced for profession for a while. believe me, CC'ing is the way to go!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.