VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of upgrading my stock head unit. However, a lot of brands out there have too much of a "busy" look. I want to keep more of a clean, sophisticated look that blends well with the B4 Passat interior. First, I put new JL Audio component speakers in the front doors and dash. They sound good with the power from the stock head unit, however, if I turn the volume knob too high, the power drops and the 8 disc changer in back skips or stops playing. My installer suggested going for a more powerful head unit so I can get more out of the new set of speakers, which means I may eventually end up buying a new multi-disc changer. Shoud I just spend the dough and get the new "hard disk" head units that hold my entire music collection? Or should I keep the stock head unit and find a place to mount/hide a 4 channel amplifer? I don't know where I would put it, the installer thinks I might have room under one of the front seats, has anyone else upgraded their sound system? What advice do you have? I see this whole thing getting out of control(moneywise) I wanted to improve the sound inside, but not break the bank over it.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (YouViewer)

this is the head unit i have. it's not too "busy" at all and it looks great and matches almost perfectly. the screen and button change colors (80 different) so you can match it to the green on your dash http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif ....it's the clarion DXZ535

they also make one that plays the MP3s which looks the same....it think DXZ545mp
also these are sirius ready and you can get a free sirius tunner if you buy one soon http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

I installed an Alpine CDA9813. For requirements, it had to be MP3 capable, and it had to suit the car. None of this flashy blue and red crap with bright silver chassis and all that. I wanted a semi-stock look. I got it with the Alpine. It looks great, it's easy to use, and it didn't break the bank.

·
Banned
702 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (iamsuperdan)

If you want something with style get a Blaupunkt head unit. they manufacture OEW VW ones so they fit right in no mods or goofy mounting kits. I have had two and they seem right up your alley.
ALEX

·
Registered
931 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (violentveedub)

speaking of head units, does anyones head unit overheat in the winter? i think it's because the heating vents are right on top of it, or maybe it's because my deck isn't that good, it's clarion, not sure on the model, possibly 465, will post it tomorrow, i have it set on a preset called excite, is that bad?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (violentveedub)

Thanks for the advice. I like the pic of the Clarion. I want to stay away from that red/blue/silver face combination thats being pushed on the market. I like to keep the number of buttons on the face of the head unit to a minimum. I have seen some SONY models that have a smooth, black face with the maze of buttons hidden behind the faceplate. Call me dull, but I am happy with good old fashioned green lights for my interior, including the head unit. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif If anyone else out there has some head unit pics, please post them. Thanks

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

JVC i believe also has a model called the chameleon thats similar to sony's, only it doesnt flip over to reveal a bling bling silver and blue face, instead a little row of buttons flips out from the bottom of the hu. Otherwise, the face is flat, and when its off, its completely flat. It was one of the few I was looking at when considering replacing the hu, and I understand your quandry, I dont want a silver with disco lights hu, i just want black and green. Alpine makes some quality hu's that are basically green and black last i checked too.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (MP3DUB)

OH..just remebered that i have a pic of it in my car with the lights on at night....

it's kind of a bad pic, but, you can see how the color matches almost perfectly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif aslo this is a b3 but the b4 are pretty much the same

·
Registered
334 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (CTVeeDubJetta)

Does the alpine or clarion work with the stock CD changer? I can't remember who actually makes VW CD Changers, pioneer or something like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (Hengst)

If you use the original VW head unit and add a CD changer, you most likely have two models to choose from, my 1996 Passat uses a Panasonic 8 CD Changer, it used to have the dealer installed 6 disc. Some models before 1996 might still use the Clarion models. I think there is a way to tell the difference from the front. Something to do with the way the cassette door looks. If you have the removal keys and take the head unit out, you will see the actual manufacter somewhere printed on a sticker, my head unit reads "Matsu****a Corp" which is actually Panasonic's parent company.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

Quote, originally posted by YouViewer »
If you use the original VW head unit and add a CD changer, you most likely have two models to choose from, my 1996 Passat uses a Panasonic 8 CD Changer, it used to have the dealer installed 6 disc. Some models before 1996 might still use the Clarion models. I think there is a way to tell the difference from the front. Something to do with the way the cassette door looks. If you have the removal keys and take the head unit out, you will see the actual manufacter somewhere printed on a sticker, my head unit reads "Matsu****a Corp" which is actually Panasonic's parent company.

Here is a webpage that will help out anyone looking for an OE cdchanger for their Passat or any other model for that matter....It will explain the differences with the factory radios and wiring.
Here it is....
http://www.cdchangersonline.com/itmidx1.htm
Hope it helps!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: HEAD UNIT Sound System UPGRADE (amp1080)

Yeah, amp1080, I had that problem a few times this winter, but only when the heat was set on vent. If I leave it on floor or defrost (or some combo thereof), it seems to be okay. I was planning on looking into a little blower for back there because I don't want my deck to burn out. I don't think it's a cheap deck thing...my deck is reasonbly expensive and worked fine in another vehicle...I think it's a confined space problem. Hopefully there's enough space for a fan or something.
Erik

1 - 13 of 13 Posts