VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a header but was told that a downpipe is more important. I can't find to many headers for a '96 2.0 jetta. I was wondering if this is true and does a header replace the downpipe? Is it better to replace the downpipe price and power wise or is a header better power and price wise? I have a few mods like chip, all pulleys, intake, exhaust and cam. Can someone help please looking to get more for my money and what brand is best? Thanx

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (vsynchronisieren)

Thanx so you are saying get the downpipe and how much gain am I looking at? Would a high flow cat make any diff.? Cost for the high flow and the downpipe would be bout the same as a header? Thoughts please? Thanx

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Header or downpipe 2.0 better power/price wise? (96VentoGL)

i spoke with colin at techtonics a few years ago about this. i ended up going with a race downpipe (no cat). colin informed me that the bosal header they sell will not make more power then the race downpipe. the only thing available that would make more would be a race header that would replace the exhaust manifold and stock downpipe assembly. when i asked him why the race downpipe makes more power then a street header like the bosal he said it was due to the lenght of the race downpipe tubes. i'd say go for the race downpipe if you don't mind losing your catalytic converter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Header or downpipe 2.0 better power/price wise? (Blown Wide Open)

Thanx for the input guys! I think I will have to get back to this later cuz the money I had is going to have to go to my a/c my compressor went out today, just my luck especially in Texas heat, so I will have to look into getting the downpipe later. Thanx again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Header or downpipe 2.0 better power/price wise? (jettaboi)

Quote, originally posted by jettaboi »
i spoke with colin at techtonics a few years ago about this. i ended up going with a race downpipe (no cat). colin informed me that the bosal header they sell will not make more power then the race downpipe. the only thing available that would make more would be a race header that would replace the exhaust manifold and stock downpipe assembly. when i asked him why the race downpipe makes more power then a street header like the bosal he said it was due to the lenght of the race downpipe tubes. i'd say go for the race downpipe if you don't mind losing your catalytic converter.

I am all for getting rid of my Cat...no emissions here in Wisconsin... Where can I get a Race Downpipe???

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: Header or downpipe 2.0 better power/price wise? (Nipples)

Quote, originally posted by Nipples »
they got rid of emissions testing is WI? when i lived there i had to get my car tested. Now i'm in MN, deff no testing here.

The city of Milwaukee has emissions testing but no where else

·
Registered
25,009 Posts
Re: (jsalvato)

Like stated above, you won't see much gain from a header OR downpipe without at least a cam.
Do you already have a catback exhaust system? If not, get that first.
If you must get a header, buy a MK4 2.0(AEG engine code) exhaust manifold. It is a tubular design as opposed to the mk3's solid manifold. It flows about 10% better and can be found for cheap.

·
Registered
91' MK2 GTI, Caged, Plus Suspension, Incompleted VR6 Conversion.
976 Posts
Re: (reynolds9000)

^ what he said. Headers do also have the added bonus of sounding f'ing sweet.

Seriously though headers can make good gains with a cam and chip though generally on the top end, and to reiterate what the guy posted earlier the TT 4 into 1 race header will definately give you serious gains. but it's $475.
I asked they will ad a flex coupler and flange for a cat if you want to build a custom system that moves the cat further to the rear of the car for like $50 more. Plus if you like you can set up the exhaust to have a swappable section. Run a straight pipe till you need to get the car inspected then swap in the cat as needed.
j5

Modified by Jphive at 3:12 PM 3-1-2006

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.