VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
header wrap on stock manifolds

After some research i think i have decided to wrap my stock manifolds with header wrap. I have heard that Thermo Tec and DEI make some good stuff is one better than the other? Some people are saying that the black Thermo Tec wrap works better than the white, is that true? if it is can anyone explain why? How much wrap do you think i would need to do the manifolds and down pipe? I am also planning on painting the manifolds and downpipe before and after wrapping, are some high heat spary paints better than others? I was planning on using Duplicolor High Heat 1200 degree black paint.

Modified by motoman358 at 6:21 AM 7-19-2005

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Re: (motoman358)

Quote, originally posted by motoman358 »
anyone use header wrap on their stock manifolds? Raceshop guys?

I used it on my stock exuast mainfold but have yet to drive the car so as far as heat temp. under the hood being decriesed I can't help. But to wrap the manifold down to the flange I used 100 ft. 2x50 ft. rolls

·
Registered
37,726 Posts
Re: (motoman358)

I know Billy wrapped his header, and we all know where that thing went.

Personally, with the manifold being cast iron, I wouldn't even think about putting wrap on it without first coating it with something to prevent the corrosion caused by moisture you'll accumulate in there.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Re: (need_a_VR6)

Here's an alternative--look into having them coated by Jet-Hot--I got quoted $135 for the exhaust manifolds and $15 per foot for the downpipe. It's impervious to corrosion and they coat the inside and outside.
Just a thought...
-Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.