VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Heading to Austin TX for the F1 race, what should i do besides the race?

11K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Urlik 
#1 ·
I will be there from Friday am thru Monday PM. What are some things to do in the city? We like touristy things, craft beer, and good, but not overpriced food.

#2 ·
If you really want to do the touristy thing in Austin, head downtown to the 6th Street area - tons of music venues (many with no cover), lots of bars and good food options*.

I had one of the best burgers of my life at a place on 6th street - I don't remember the name of the place, but it was on the north side toward the east end of the street.

Have fun!

(*don't bother with Franklin BBQ - it's a famous place, but you can wait hours in line and they often run out of stuff...and from what I'm told, while the food is very good, it's not worth the long waits)

Have fun!

#6 ·
Skip Franklin's. The BBQ is legendary, but the line isn't worth your limited time in town. Try Style's Switch on North Lamar. It's near Blackstar Coop (microbrew/bistro), which is also good. A slightly smaller wait is required for The Salt Lick out in Driftwood, and with that you get live music and all-you-can eat BBQ. Bring cash (~$35/person) and your own booze.

The restaurant the Bush twins got arrested at is the Chuy's on Barton Spring Road. It's good Tex-Mex. If you want "real" Tex-Mex, hit Arranda's; if you're lucky the one you go to will speak English. If you want real interior Mexican, hit Curra's.

Lots of downtown will be blocked off for the party; check it out. They'll have driving simulators and carnival games.

Uber and Lift don't operate here because our inept city council has Taxi company **** firmly in their collective mouths. Local apps are required, like Fare. Sixt and Silvercar are here if you want to get a rental (recommended). I highly recommend you use Waze to get around, as traffic here is ****ed.

If you want to do something outdoorsey, you can rent a paddle board to scoot around Town Lake (the river through the middle of town). Wear sunscreen and mosquito repellant. (Hell both are required at the race, too.)

The Bob Bullock state history museum is pretty neat, and has an IMAX.

If you want a quiet English-style pub, there's the Gingerman downtown, and the Draughthouse up north.

I've tried to hit a variety of stuff; I guess it depends on what kind of activity you're looking for.

#8 · (Edited)
Uber and Lift don't operate here because our inept city council has Taxi company **** firmly in their collective mouths. Local apps are required, like Fare.
The Fasten app is great as well.

I had a really good time at Barton Springs
Came in to post this.

Barton Springs is great and the water is 68-70 degrees year round.

Another cool thing to do around Zilker is to rent a canoe or kayak and go out on Town Lake/Lady Bird Lake.

There is also a great walking and running trail around the lake called Town Lake Trail or Lady Bird Trail. Its a loop that's on the south and north sides of the river/lake.

If you are with your wife or SO and they like shopping the shops on South Congress are fun.

South Congress Cafe also has an amazing Sunday Brunch but get there when they open at 9am or you will wait. Threadgills has a Sunday Gospel Brunch that is pretty good as well.

The last thing I would suggest is to check the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz location (downtown) for an off the wall movie or a Master Pancake Theater show that weekend. Look 2-3 weeks out on their website and if you see tickets grab them. Its like Mystery Science Theater 3000, except they normally pick blockbusters past and sometimes present. Also on some weekends they have a show on Sunday nights at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar Location that is choose your own pancake. Audience members bring in DVD's that go along with a theme and they narrow it down to around 10-12. Then the audience members get up and sell their movie. However wins by crowd applause the Master Pancake comedians do a live and unscripted go at it. Alamo serves beer, liquor and food as well.

#9 ·
And to expand on Barton Springs, there's also paddleboarding and canoeing downstream from there, which is super fun. We spent a very happy day with the boy swimming, paddleboarding, and having a picnic by the shore.

Oh, also, Independence Brewing is pretty cool.

#12 · (Edited)
Pinthouse Pizza and Jester King may be the best places to visit where you can the most variety of local beers. JK is probably the most unique brewery you'll find - they make farmhouse style beers (wild yeast - sour) but have a taproom with tons of other stuff. Pinthouse is my favorite at the moment due to their many IPA styles and great pizza. I also like Hops & Grain, but any of the places other folks have listed are good.

Avoid 6th street and visit Rainey, where you'll find Craft Pride and Bangers (eat here).

Edit for barbecue: Lockhart for a day trip. I prefer Smitty's and Black's. In Austin, My current favorite is Micklethwait. They are a trailer with no lines," and free beer (sometimes).

#13 ·
Try and check out Wild Bubba's Wild Game Grill which just happens to be just down the street from the track. I am not sure if they will be running the full menu during the weekend since they also sell at the track but maybe Monday. Great hole in the wall joint.

#17 ·
Salt Lick BBQ. All you can eat if you're that hungry. If you want a tasty beverage bring it with you. It's the only place restaurant wise I know of that makes you BYOB.

The Clay Pit if you're into Indian food.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.