VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it happened - my low beam head light died on my early model 2001 4-motion. The manual says it should be replaced by a trained VW tech. This can't be rocket science - but the manual doesn't tell me which bulb I need. Does anyone know the model / part number for the low beam?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Re: Headlight - low beam bulb replacement (VR6Shadow)

I go to Autozone and ask for a part number. It takes about 2 min per side to replace after hood is opened.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It is fairly easy

The left side was easier than the right side. On the right I had to unscrew a retaining screw that held the intake duct to the radiator support and remove the intake duct. You might want to just replace both at the same time. My right bulb blew six weeks after I replaced the left one. And remember, do not touch the glass part of the bulb with bare fingers.
Now on to my soapbox...I think it is ridiculous that VW doesn't publish the bulb numbers on the owners manual. I was stunned when I went to the manual to lookup the headlight bulb number and saw that line about needing a trained VW tech to replace a bulb. I like VW's a lot. I think they are smartly designed cars, but VW is treating me like I am too dumb to change a bulb. Isn't it enough that they require special VW tools to service the engine? (I was told the VW tools needed to change the timing belt for the V6 costs about $500.) Sorry for the rant, but sometimes I feel like VW is trying to hold me hostage.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts

Don' have the VW p/n handy but here's some instructions (the generic p/n is at this site):
[Click on INFO BASE there.]
http://web.njit.edu/~rxp0835/b5/

Modified by E36BMW at 1:33 PM 2-12-2004

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Headlight - low beam bulb replacement (E36BMW)

Just bought this at globalpremier.com, will let ya'll know how it works for me when i install them. I, too, wanted a brighter, whiter light than the regular halogens i am using right now, especially with all the night time driving I do.

Item Name: XD5 High Wattage 5800K Xenon Quartz Bulbs
Item Options: Part#: H7

Item Number: XD5 5800K High-Wattage

Quantity: 1

Total: $22.90 USD

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

Xenon bulb?

I think you might melt your housing and I doubt they may work.
I buy the Silvania's H7 @ Autozone for $15 each and replace both sides, because you are tempting fate otherwise...

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Re: Headlight - low beam bulb replacement (Bravo5)

They list those as 100W .. will be interesting to see how your harness holds out ..

·
Registered
95 Posts

check out autolamps-online.com
good price
I bought lowbeam and fog. The price was good and the service as well.
rd

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Re: Headlight - low beam bulb replacement (Jesstzn)

Quote, originally posted by Jesstzn »
They list those as 100W .. will be interesting to see how your harness holds out ..

Supposedely they have 55w versions. I'm waiting for someone else to try them out first because I don't feel like buying another set of headlight bulbs that aren't any better than stock. One spare pair is enough for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts