VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Headlight repair suggestions

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  black96gti2.0 
#1 ·
Have this new set of Hella ecodes and the inner housing is cracked. What route would you go to repair this?

See less See more
#3 ·
FV-QR

I just had to re-spray the inner of mine, the reflective **** rubbed off. I have the paint I used, forget the name, but I wul try to fuse it together somehow then use that paint. It isn't a perfect match but it works. I haven't tried the beam yet, I need a harness adapter.

#4 ·
Re: (DevilsWorkshop)

it is repairable. You won't even notice the broken metallic section inside the housing once they are reassembled. I have taken that option in to account. Might want to look in to some of the european connections
I'm looking to see what method of fusing some of you guys would use. Actual product and what not

Modified by Dutchsider at 9:38 PM 4-26-2010

#9 ·
Re: FV-QR (black96gti2.0)

Plastic welding is such an archaic form for fusing plastics. It takes too long, you need a special gun, the right filler rod... just sand it with 80 grit (on the backside) and JB weld it. Then if you have to, respray the chrome with a chrome paint. Any autoparts store will sell that chrome rattle can stuff.

#11 ·
Re: FV-QR (black96gti2.0)

Quote, originally posted by black96gti2.0 »
i can plastic weld that jawn for you, its pretty simple

DO NOT try this. you'll melt the reflector right off of the inside while welding the outside.
I'd say use a little bit of JB weld, fusor if you have that lying around already or any high temp plastic epoxy that you can find in a hardware store. Finish it off with some silicone over the area to ensure water tightness.

#12 ·
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by cra2y86 »
rma?

yeah, but I think that it cracked when adjusting.

Quote, originally posted by cjslapshot »

DO NOT try this. you'll melt the reflector right off of the inside while welding the outside.
I'd say use a little bit of JB weld, fusor if you have that lying around already or any high temp plastic epoxy that you can find in a hardware store. Finish it off with some silicone over the area to ensure water tightness.

this sounds like the route that I will likely go. I may plastic weld the back side. Most all of the repair will take place on the backside. I'd like to try to preserve whatever reflective value that the inner still has. Thanks for the info brehs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.