VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '03 Jetta. I decided to replace the stock headligt bulbs with some blue ones, but I am having some trouble. One of the lights became really dim one day, and the VW dealer told me that the bulbs were melting the sockets. I put the stock bulbs back in, and they worked fine. Now just recently I tried again with new blue bulbs, and 2 weeks later it happened again! The thing is though- the stock bulbs still work fine!? It seems like my car is burning out the blue bulb(s), but the socket seems ok. I know that I can have blue headlights bc I see them in Jettas all the time, and I have had them in past cars, but I dont know what to do at this point. I have blueish side markers & blinkers, but can't figure out the headlight thing.
Help!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Re: Headlight trouble! Help!!! (ryny143)

It could just be a problem with the brand of blub you are using.
Edit: Also try a lower wattage bulb maybe.

Modified by SanDiegoR1Rider at 8:30 AM 4-22-2006

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
Re: Headlight trouble! Help!!! (ryny143)

What is the wattage of the blue bulbs you are using? If the wattage is higher than the standard 55/60 watts, you are most likely burning the harness or the socket. The wires are soo thin that they just barely have the ability to supply the power needed for 55/60 watt bulbs. If you try to pull more power through those wires, stuff will start to melt. The only thing I can think is hapening is the blue bulbs are burning the contacts, then when you are changing bulbs, it is scraping the burned part off the contacts, therefore creating a new contact point. You must remove the bulbs and physicallt inspect the sockets and harness. If any point of them is looking charred or melted, that is your problem.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Re: Headlight trouble! Help!!! (fixmy59bug)

Are they LEDs. When i did my trunk lighting i decided to use LEDs instead of neons because i was already pulling power off of the existing trunk light. if your not using leds i suggest you do. From what i know they take less power so you dont melt wires, fuses, etc
^^^^Sry miss read,
Are all of your your bulbs pulling the same power as the oem ones. if there pulling more thats why

Modified by inneedofafastcar at 8:46 AM 4-22-2006

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used 2 different brands but they are both 100/110 W. If the socket does look melted even a little, should I get it a new one? My stock bulbs work fine in them though! Any suggestions on what bulbs to use- with the blue look?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (ryny143)

Actually I am thinking maybe the 1st set (110/100W) burned out the socket, whick ended up blowing the second set out. Maybe? I am looking at my last pair of bulbs and they were only 65W- EuroDezigns. Ya think if I replace the socket and re-install the same brand bulbs it'll be good? Any other, better brands? I think these might be LED- the package says HID- are they different?

·
Registered
53,335 Posts
Re: (ryny143)

Quote, originally posted by ryny143 »
I used 2 different brands but they are both 100/110 W.

You can't use higher than 55 watt in the OEM sockets safely.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does everyone else do it then?! I'm so frustrated! Are there any nice blue-ish bulbs that are 55W or less?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (2kjetta18)

ok thanks everyone! One last question. The last bulbs I put in said the wattage was 65/55w. One of them burned out- on the side where the socket is "melting". If I were to put in new ones that are 55w, will the same one keep burning outbc of the socket? Do I have to replace the socket 1st???

Is there a big heat difference from 65 to 55 watts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts