VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted in a while, but I do have a problem. My fog lights work, but regular headlights (and DRL's) don't work-they went out last week.
Any advice other than checking the fuses??
Should I get new bulbs?
Should I check the headlight harness? Could it be burned out? Relay 173??
Help!!

CS

·
Registered
15,173 Posts
Re: Headlights out (CS VW)

The regular headlights are H7s

You should be able to find a pair. Don't pay much money for them!
(hint: get super/bright white(not blue, or even 'OEM'-they're yellowish))

·
Registered
723 Posts

One of the most useful "tools" I have is a voltmeter that allows continuity testing - quickest way to check if a bulb is still good. The driver's side headlight bulb is a snap to get out - takes about 15 seconds. Take it out to check before you buy new bulbs. But it'd be a bit unusual for BOTH bulbs to go out simultaneously! I'd bet on a fuse....

·
Registered
90 Posts

What's the chance of someone else posting the exact same problem I just had!! Both of my low beams failed at the same time over the weekend. I figured it was a fuse or relay. All of the fuses were OK so to the dealer it went since it is still under warranty.
After checking it out, they said both lights simply failed at the same time!!! I questioned the logic of that statement but they said they didn't find anything else wrong. Would be interested to hear from others.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: Headlights out (bstrecker)

While I did not have both low beams go out, I did have one go out last Monday. It seems somewhat disturbing that on a car 6 months old that headlights would go out. The dealer did replace it the same day in 15 minutes on my lunch hour so I was happy with that, but I hope every 6 months or every year I don't have to replace the headlights. Especially when the 2 year/24M mile warranty is up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Headlights out (bstrecker)

Actually, I have posted the same problem 2 days ago http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=164246 but did not get any respond http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
My DRLs were disabled. When headlights went out, I put the relay 173 back to see if they'll work. They did not.
I checked the fuses and bulbs, the're OK. The right headlight came on for a while (as I was fiddling with fuses) but then it went off again (when I fiddled some more)...
I'm

Anyone can help, please?

[Modified by 17, 4:11 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
242 Posts

Well I've had my car for seven months and one low beam went out and both reverse tail lights went out. All at the same time. The passenger side mirror tilt stopped working at the same time also, so I knew I had to bring it to the dealer to evaluate the problem. It turns out that the low beam bulb needed to be replaced (already!). The reverse tail lights and the tilting mirror were the same problem. It turns out that there was a short in the wiring. They told me that the wires run up into the headliner and they had to remove it to fix the short in the wire. They did a pretty good job of fixing it. I've driven it a couple of weeks now with no problem. I just hope I'm not in for electrical problems down the road.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Re: Headlights out (17)

I wonder if both your headlights actually went out on the same day. I must have been driving around with one headlight for a while before pulling up in back of a van in traffic. I noticed in the reflection in the back of the van that I only had one headlight. It's amazing how bright one Passat headlight is!
I suppose I'm also spoiled by my 525, if even a parking light burns out, it gives you a message on the dash.
Friday our dealer is going to replace the timing belt (we're at 59,500 miles), upgrade us to the new timing belt tensioner and do some other normal maintenance including the headlight.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: Headlights out (PhilHVW)

Yes, they both came out at the same time!
They worked until I came home on Sunday night . Then the car was not driven until Monday night when I discovered they are dead.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Headlights out (matt007)

Thanx for the info, Matt.
I'm about to head out to Wal-Mart right now to get some lights. Are Wal-mart's OK?

Also, the blue radio light keeps flickering on and off. Once again, fuse or light??

TIA
CS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts