VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
82 rocco.... Replaced stock lights with aftermarket 65watt wannabe
HIDs....they worked for about 2 day and now nothing!
Heres what ive done to check them!
1) replaced the on/off switch
2) replaced dimmer paddle on colom
3) swapped fuse box
4) tried stock headlights
5) traced wires for fuse box to headlights poking every five inches with test light (NOTHING ALL THE WAY)
6) Bulbs are fine and no fuses are blown

WHAT THE HELLLLL DO I DO??? how or what can i do to fix this?

Modified by scirockinit at 4:36 AM 8-20-2009

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Re: HEADLIGHTS?!?!?!?! (scirockinit)

Quote, originally posted by scirockinit »

WHAT THE HELLLLL DO I DO??? how or what can i do to fix this?
Modified by scirockinit at 4:36 AM 8-20-2009

Just drive the Rado at night
lol but on a serious note, number 4 said stock headlights as in you took these out and put back all oem stuff and they didn't work either??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: HEADLIGHTS?!?!?!?! (undeadsole)

yes they wouldnt work either!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
wow, u kinda got me there... I haven't heard of this before its really weird um bo the rest of the lights turn on when you flick the switch or is it all of the lights together??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (undeadsole)

just the headlights i got parking lights tail lights ...but if i pull the dimmer paddle i got highbeams.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

im talking about if i pull the lever and hold it back! other than that there is nothing!!!! the back of the fuse box is dead i ran a test light to the 2 wires the goto the left side high and its got nothing! and i just replaced the box!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
what?? how is the fuse box dead?? the connectors are rusted out or what?? it does take fuses right?? damm this would be easier if I could see it lol

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

yes fuses and no rust i dont understand it myself

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: (scirockinit)

I have an 86 GLI and this happened to me on the way beack from Vegas one night. I took it to the dealer the next day and they told me the ignition switch went bad. The changed the switch and the lights worked fine from then on. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (bftaylor)

But my car still runs!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: (scirockinit)

The car ran fine. I was on the freeway when the lights went out. I thought it was a fuse at first but after checking them and the bulbs I could find nothing. The high beams worked if I held the lever back but immediately went off upon release. I drove back to San Diego from Vegas holding that lever back most of the way. The delaer fixed it the nxt day and they told me it ws the ignition switch. Sounds silly but, my lights worked and still work today.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

if i replace the ignition switch i wonder if thats also what caused my horn and blower motor not to work.. When i got the car it had been sitting for 12 years, so it had its mice. Well when i finally got it running the blower mortor switch didnt work, nor did my horn or windsheild wiper! so we checked the fuse box and those spots were dead on the fuse box NO POSITIVE!! so i ran hot wires in and got a horn button (problem solved) then i ran one to the blower motor switch and that cause both wiper and blower to work!. Now if all this is connected to the ignition switch maybe it will cause it to work and restore the power to my fuse box!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Just bought the switch will reply with results in a couple days when it arrives

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

FIXED!!!! Thanks man i realli appericate that! i put the new one in and it fixed the headlights but not the others! Now how do i install a high wattage relay?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

im guessing so i put the new in and she works now!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.