VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i was just wondering if the whole headliner in a can mod idea will work the same for our ugly grey carpets. its hell to keep clean in south florida for more than a day due to rain. and i dont want to rip it out and put in a black one. even though it just might be worth it cause i have most of the grey interior off already except for the grey rockers and rear panels(no DIY thread gotta figure it out). im going black and never comming back with a touch of suede on steering wheel, headliner, pillars, door cards and rear cards.
P.S. i know that the headliner's texture gets hard but i heard that rubbing in some of those fabric softening sheets works well. also will the dye rub off if it gets wet and such. if not then im not gonna doit. thanks alot and will be posting pics when i can. sorry for such the long post.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Here's Johnny)

Quote, originally posted by Here’s Johnny »
Get monster mats

well i was thinking about that but its just that imma have a grey little trim around the monster mats. how much exactly do they cover? is it enough to not have to put a carpet or paint it? thanks

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (jsocar1986)

id still like the first stated questions answered even though im searching for the monster mats idea. looks to me that its just going to annoy me knowing my carpet it still grey. thanks.

· Registered
770 Posts
to dye or spray it you'd have to take it all out anyway to do it right.. so you might as well replace it.. maybe try something like that indoor outdoor soft fabric they have on a spool at home depot in the garden dept.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (xSelFxTruEx)

Quote, originally posted by xSelFxTruEx »
to dye or spray it you'd have to take it all out anyway to do it right.. so you might as well replace it.. maybe try something like that indoor outdoor soft fabric they have on a spool at home depot in the garden dept.

thank dude if i remember correctly i dont know if there is a DIY for carpets if there is can someone please lmk.
cause if its not too difficult i wouldnt mind doing it. thanks again.

· Registered
4,996 Posts
Re: (jsocar1986)

Having grey around my monster mats has never annoyed me. The mats cover as much as the regular fabric ones but can hold up to a liter of liquid (I believe). They hold up great though, when they get dirt, just pull them out and hose them off.

· Registered
174 Posts
Re: headliner in-a-can idea for grey carpet??? (jsocar1986)

I've done it before,alot of work and the carpet kind of gets that stiff feeling afterwords.But it looks ok i've tried to get that stiffness out but it hasn't worked that good

Modified by RUBINREDVR6 at 1:56 PM 8-20-2006

· Registered
34 Posts
Re: headliner in-a-can idea for grey carpet??? (RUBINREDVR6)

I have a grey interior (for now) and have r32 monster mats, looks much better. I put a little electrical tape over the grey part that sticks though the retainer on the mat then installed the mats, looks much better.
I personally would goto a junkyard and get black carpet 2 or 4 door should work. I think even Jetta carpet will work. The junkyard I went to sold it for next to nothing becuase they usually trash it anyways when they crush the car, same thing with electrical harnesses.
I would only do the 20th mod on headliner parts such as the pillers and headliner.

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: headliner in-a-can idea for grey carpet??? (Superbleeder)

Quote, originally posted by Superbleeder »
replace it with astro turf

haha actually i was thinking of going with some crazy fabric but astro turf sounds good

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.