VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Gas prices went up to 0.92/L for regular tonight
2) We are getting hit with a $600-750 per year health care "premium" in the new budget. I don't know how much you make per year, but $600 is a F-CK load of money out of my paycheque. I'd sooner donate that $600 to a homeless shelter before I help fund hospital bills for a bunch of fat, old, SUV-driving, ungrateful boomers with zero exercise regiment and a crappy diet.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (climacus)

$600? Do you make around $49000 to 72000 a year? Interesting that top earner pay a max of around $900.

·
Registered
13,778 Posts

Quote, originally posted by climacus »
2) We are getting hit with a $600-750 per year health care "premium" in the new budget. I don't know how much you make per year, but $600 is a F-CK load of money out of my paycheque. I'd sooner donate that $600 to a homeless shelter before I help fund hospital bills for a bunch of fat, old, SUV-driving, ungrateful boomers with zero exercise regiment and a crappy diet.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Agreed. If forced to pay a "premium" I'd rather it go to the truly helpless... the poor neglected animals that benefit from the Toronto Humaine society. I already donate monthly to them... I'd rather the $900 or so from my paycheque go to them.
Regardless, get used to paying for the general care of the baby boomer generation, it's only going to get worse. Don't forget, they're living much much longer than the generation that preceded them.
I need to move from this forsaken tax haven. It's nearly impossible to get ahead.... and as soon as you make any progress, along comes the mismanagement of our government to bash us back down with levys to cover their inefficiencies and ineptitude.
Oh let's not forget the blatant lies put forth during election campaigns.

Modified by Preppy at 9:37 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (Preppy)

Quote, originally posted by Preppy »

Regardless, get used to paying for the general care of the baby boomer generation, it's only going to get worse. Don't forget, they're living much much longer than the generation that preceded them.

You think it's bad now? Wait another 15 years when they're all old and sick AND out of money ("Save for retirement? Why? The gov't will pay for it".)

·
Banned
2,013 Posts

I agree they removed coverage like eye exams and rehabilitation. and then charged us extra per year.
never trust a liberal. especially when they are talking.
they should of raised the taxes way higher on smokes and drinks and left out the extra fee out.
Not to mention they are saying oh it will save you $ 600 per kid because now we will include the needles, Well I have no kids, so how is that helping me?

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (blood red GTI)

Quote, originally posted by blood red GTI »

they should of raised the taxes way higher on smokes and drinks and left out the extra fee out.
Not to mention they are saying oh it will save you $ 600 per kid because now we will include the needles, Well I have no kids, so how is that helping me?

I'm included in this... I have no children nor do I plan on having any. The extra "premiums" we're paying support educational funding and healthcare. Neither of which I benefit from to any extreme degree. And to make matters worse, the only medical service that I use (eye exams) is getting cut! Wow I'm glad that I'm paying more for services that I'm no longer receiving! Shouldn't those with children carry a heavier financial burden for healthcare and education? They're the ones that actually use it... why should families get a financial break simply for having children? Heck, they're the ones that utilize these systms the most!
Provincial funding for the university program that I will be attending has been cut (so I must now pay in excess of $20 000 per year -- when 10 years ago it was $5 000). The only road I can take to work costs me $150 per month due to lack of foresight on the part of the provincial government in selling the 407 to a greedy private consortium.
And to top it off, it's now even more difficult for me to save for retirement and more importantly, start my life off with some degree of stability!
Honestly, tax smoking products, tax alcohol, tax movies... these things in life are PREMIUMS. Healthcare in Ontario is not a PREMIUM... it's a right. Levy the things are actually premiums.

Modified by Preppy at 9:59 AM 5-19-2004

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (Preppy)

Quote, originally posted by Preppy »

I need to move from this forsaken tax haven. It's nearly impossible to get ahead.... and as soon as you make any progress, along comes the mismanagement of our government to bash us back down with levys to cover their inefficiencies and ineptitude.
Oh let's not forget the blatant lies put forth during election campaigns.

Modified by Preppy at 9:37 AM 5-19-2004

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I get sick when I see how much tax they steal from me, and now this. I am at the point of not even wanting a raise either, because I'll be paying more tax than the raise would be worth. What incentive do we have to try to get ahead ? the more you make, the more they take.
Where are all the geniuses that thought a Liberal government was a good thing today ?

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's the same old story with all politicians -> During the election: "We won't raise taxes".
Once they are elected: "We don't want to raise taxes but we have to now that we have had a look at the books. The financial damage done by the previous administration leaves us no choice... But please don't be angry."
As for gas prices... I bet they miraculously come down right around election time.

·
Banned
22,490 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (Mr King)

So they raised the License frr from $50.00 to $75.00 hmmm
They would have generated more money if they just raised the License Plate sticker fee by $5.00
and now these Underworked Over paid Teachers now have more money to Suck out of the school system instead of Fixing schools

I hate teachers

they work so Little and get paid soo much

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (Mr King)

i was about to blow a screw like 4 years ago... its a challenge just to form words about this **** now...
my mom has always said to me, "if you don't like it, move to the bahamas or cuba. we live GOOD in canada" and every time this **** hits the fan (which is a LOT now) i think her suggestion makes more and more sense.
if we're going to live 'poor' or just getting by day to day having to pay a huge chunk away to the mismanaging government... why not do it in a more laid-back environment... amazing weather, beaches, all the good ish. i don't need riches... i'd prefer comfort and peace of mind.
i NEVER use healthcare except for when i need to fill T3 perscriptions and they wont even let me do that now because now they say its a 'narcotic'.
now and then i'll get an eye exam though... oh ****, now i have to pay for that. what is about 25% of my paycheck paying for again? healthcare? what ****ing healthcare? i haven't been able to get a family doctor in KW in the past 3 years since my old doctor left town. i've been on a waiting list for a new doctor since he was still in MED SCHOOL, march of 2003... last month i finally spoke to him in person and he said they are no longer accepting new patients. i've been waiting over a year since before he was even accepting patients at all... how do i not get it??!

our road conditions are at least reasonable, but the taxes and fees to drive.. not to mention the INSURANCE that was SUPPOSED TO COME DOWN is ridiculous, its getting so many people can't even drive anymore. (personally i think we still get a huge break on fuel costs vs. other parts of the world so i won't go into that).
education system. its certainly not a higher education system. it caters to the kids who are behind, to bring them up to the 'average' level. what about the kids who are already there? what about the kids who have exceptional intelligence who are only held back? "the country is run by C students" and all that crap... we're holding OURSELVES back intellectually in this country.
kids... sure i can throw my meat in some broad and knock her up... am i that careless? no. i take measures to insure i don't screw up my life and expect others to cover the tab... if i had planned children, i would expect to support them fully, that is a responsibility i would budget out ahead of time to ensure that i could make it through. i don't want to pay my hard earned money away to help someone else raise their kids. i'm sorry. i just don't care that much, i need that money for food, rent... insurance, and i'd really like to go back to university if i could ever effin afford it.
and in closing. **** **** **** the police.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

What do you expect? I mean seriously, our social system affords a lot of avenues of social help to those unable or unwilling to help themselves. Unfortunatly I know a far greater of those who are unwilling then those who are unable. Too many people want a free ride and have this mentality of "what can the govermnet do for me" while hard working people get taxed.. Our government mis spends and out right steals from the tax pool. Meh.. this will get locked, what the point. The states are looking far more attractive with each new dishonet a$$monkey of a politician that gets his gruby hands at the wheel of our country..

·
Registered
3,433 Posts

Don't get me started on the cost of education/health care for kids. How is it my duty to fit the bill for the fact that you need to breed like freakin rabbits. You wanna have kids, you should pay additional costs to get them educated and cared for..

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (.:: dropFROG ::.)

Quote, originally posted by .:: dropFROG ::. »
What do you expect? I mean seriously, our social system affords a lot of avenues of social help to those unable or unwilling to help themselves. Unfortunatly I know a far greater of those who are unwilling then those who are unable. Too many people want a free ride and have this mentality of "what can the govermnet do for me" while hard working people get taxed..

i expect that eventually someone will come along and run the country/province properly, legitimately, honestly, even LEGALLY. thats the first step in my mind.
we can't change the habits of all the waste of life dirtbags leeching the system, but surely we can find even one individual to lead us in a better direction than we're going

·
Registered
2,611 Posts

...Not to mention they are saying oh it will save you $ 600 per kid because now we will include the needles, Well I have no kids, so how is that helping me?

How the hell do you think I feel? I just finished paying $500 for my 7 month old daughter's vaccinations.
Between increased gas prices, increased hydro and gas rates, health care premiums, and out-of-control property taxes I'm going broke. My salary has gone up but I'll still be significantly poorer in 2004 than I was in 2003.
Liberals in the Federal gov't + Liberals in the Provincial gov't + Liberals in the Municipal gov't (in Ottawa, anyway) =

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

we can't change the habits of all the waste of life dirtbags leeching the system, but surely we can find even one individual to lead us in a better direction than we're going

Unfortunatly the leeches have enough of a vote to keep anyone who might threaten their comfortable way of life under the wing of our social care system...
I had the... how should I put it, displeasure of knowing a guy?, whos father was and is a Liberal MP. All I can say is brood of vipers, I don't think straight up politicians exist..

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (chuckDD)

Quote, originally posted by chuckDD »
How the hell do you think I feel? I just finished paying $500 for my 7 month old daughter's vaccinations.

dude, its $500 for your daughter's health. my last car i was forced to pay that MONTHLY, just for liability insurance. you had the choice not to have kids just like i had the choice not to drive an expensive car. i know thats cold and factual when talking about children, but thats the way it is.
if YOU don't pay it, who does... us?? she's your daughter, your responsibility. this is the mentality that really burns me. if we would each take responsibility for our own lives/actions, we wouldn't have the problems we do.

Modified by itchyG60 at 12:02 PM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
793 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (itchyG60)

Quote, originally posted by itchyG60 »

i expect that eventually someone will come along and run the country/province properly, legitimately, honestly, even LEGALLY. thats the first step in my mind.

I've always thought that anyone running for office should post some sort of bond (say a percentage fo the budget they will be responsible for). If/when they break an election promise then they forfit the bond. It's not a great solution but it might make them think twice before making promises they know they won't be able to deliver on.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (.:: dropFROG ::.)

Quote, originally posted by .:: dropFROG ::. »
The states are looking far more attractive with each new dishonet a$$monkey of a politician that gets his gruby hands at the wheel of our country..

Unfortunately, this statement is becoming truer as time goes on. I rarely use healthcare, as I basically take good care of myself, and don't run to a medical institution if I chip a nail, or have a little headache. I am sorry, but a lot of people are real woosies these days.
This whole situation with cost of just driving a car is becoming a little insane, as well. I think I pay a 'reasonable' rate compared to others, but I still think it is a little much. Fine, it is a convenience, but for me it is a necessity. If I were to take public transit from Richmond Hill to the Toronto airport (i work near by), it would make my commute 2.5 hours or so, compared to 30 min by car. That would be 5 hours almost PER DAY on the road...thanks, but no thanks.
As for the smokes and alcohol. Say what you want...they are drugs...government distributed or whatever, but they are drugs. You want them, pay for them. Can't afford them? Quit...you will be doing yourself a favour by not smoking, and me a favour from not having to inhale your second hand smoke.
But as dropfrog said...the US (or other provinces) are becoming a little more attractive as time goes on. I don't mind visiting the US, but I don't think I would completely enjoy living there. The average Joe can do a little better there, though, so it is always an option.

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts

Quote, originally posted by climacus »

And yet the price of oil was down $1.09/barrel yesterday.
I know it takes time for the price at the pump to reflect the drop in the price of oil. And yet, when the price of oil rises, the price at the pump goes up right away.
It's sad to think that oil is $40US/barrel today and was less than $16US/barrel 6 years ago.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Health care tax - Gas prices (MEIN_VW)

what do you expect? conventional oil reserves are running out and monkey face is blastin' iraqis like he runs the feckin world.
(gas always goes up tuesday night people... watch for it. happens every tuesday night. fill up tuesday afternoon or afterwork before the hike!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )

1 - 20 of 63 Posts